Anti-Stall device???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flythere

I found this article somewhat puzzling! Anybody know what this anti-stall device is that the pilot can activate??

I didn't know the Airbus had a ditching switch, to close external doors below the water-line!

Is this some new technology those Canadians came up with and have kept a secret??

"At some point, the pilot switched on the anti-stall device that increases the speed of the plane by 20 knots and gives the pilot more margin to recover from a stall if it occurs"

Posted on Comcast.net from the associated press, William Kates and others contributed

I don't fly the Q but from my understanding, when ice is detected by the system you are supposed to press this button that adds 20 knots to the stall protection computer's calculated speeds.

I don't fly the Q but from my understanding, when ice is detected by the system you are supposed to press this button that adds 20 knots to the stall protection computer's calculated speeds.

Similar system on the ATR, only if I remember correctly, it was automatic.

On the 737 and MD, we had an anti-stall system that only works when the slats are at mid or extend position and the SMYD computer detects a stall condition, the computer will drive the slats to full extend to provide more lift!

So you are saying in this system it actually adds power? Is it done through the fuel control unit, through PMC or EEC or through the auto-throttle?

Thanks!

Similar system on the ATR, only if I remember correctly, it was automatic.

It was predicated on AOA..
There is a table ourasa.com documents flightops at72 poh 6.03

"The system uses torque and flap configuration to determine
triggering thresholds."

For example: ice free:

Shaker STICK PUSHER
Flaps 15° Flaps 15°
HI PWR 10.7° 14.0°
LO PWR 11.3° 14.6°

Whenever the ICING AOA(activation of level 2 decice systems) light is illuminated, the aircraft is
protected by an earlier stall warning threshold as follows

shaker pusher
Flaps 15° Flaps 15°
8.4° 10.9°

No power added... just quicker to buzz you

Very interesting, thanks for the info!!

Embraer does the same thing. Detected ice resets the alpha for stall warning activation. The crew will then set and fly higher speeds for the approach, but the airplane will not automatically speed up.

The 737 NG will reset your app ref anytime wing ice is used during a flight.

Our Brasilia fleet is being updated with a mod that increases the speed at which the shaker will activate (AOA) but leaves the pusher AOA the same. It only does this when the ICE CONDITION light is on.

Latest resources

Back