• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flywithastick

Member is: ready
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3306443.stm

http://www.eaa.org/communications/eaanews/031210_johanson.html

Jon Johanson has proven himself at making long, adventurous trips across the world in his RV-4. But, now he's encountered an apparently unsurmountable problem... how to get cooperation from the US tax dollar supported, arrogant scientists operating research stations in Antarctica.

Seems to me, if the bonehead bureaucrat-scientists can disassemble and ship his plane at cost, they could sell him some fuel at cost... but then again, we wouldn't want to encourage the dirty masses to come to Antarctica in their "hydrocarbon spewing little planes" and spoil the splendor of the ice!

Last edited:
You might want to read a book called "Into the Wind, the Story of Max Conrad." There are a couple of chapters on his attempt to fly around the world, pole to pole, in a twin comanche (I think). He ended up crashing somewhere south of the 75th parallel and the US government spent a lot of money on him. I believe that general time, is when a policy was put into effect about supporting non-scientific activities down there. I'm not sure what my opinion is on the situation (those that know me can laugh now). But, I do see that there are several sides to this issue.

BTW, if anyone has a copy of Into the Wind. I'd like to buy it. My copy ended up lost someware during my many moves.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back