Answering the "Why do you want work here?" question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

oiltycoon

It's usually the million dollar make or break question in an interview. Most folks can agree with me that typically the core of your answer should include all positive notes about the company and what you can bring to the company.

The question I have is, should you bring up smaller reasons such as wanting to relocate back home, being closer to family..... or in my specific case, wanting to be closer to a parent whose health is failing. As legit and honest as the answer is, it could also work against me because interviewers may see it as a distraction to my job performance. Any thoughts?

Just tell them it's none of their da$n business. Then thank them to stay out of your personal life.

Really though it's a BS question. They probably hear the same canned answer from 99% of the applicants, about what a great airline it will be to work for, blah blah. Tell them why their airline will work for YOU specifically. Yes it should have something to do with the airline but what they are looking for is why you will commit to them and why you will not leave after a year. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
oiltycoon said:
It's usually the million dollar make or break question in an interview. Most folks can agree with me that typically the core of your answer should include all positive notes about the company and what you can bring to the company.

The question I have is, should you bring up smaller reasons such as wanting to relocate back home, being closer to family..... or in my specific case, wanting to be closer to a parent whose health is failing. As legit and honest as the answer is, it could also work against me because interviewers may see it as a distraction to my job performance. Any thoughts?

I think the best response to the question is to state what working at the company can do for you and your career. (Obviously, at this point in the interview, you've already shown what you can do for them.) If you say you'd "like to get X hours of time in Y type of airplane", then that suggests you have some goals and direction in your career and aren't going to be blown out the door by the first breeze that comes along. An image of "staying power" is what you want to project here.

I don't recommend saying anything about your parent (or any other personal matter), though I definitely respect your goal there. Employers want you to be entirely focused on your job, and an ill family member can be a huge distraction. I don't think it's dishonest to omit this particular fact.

C

Honesty is *not* the best policy in this case.

Yeah. I agree.

And you're not being dishonest by not sharing that situation with them, but it's best to keep it real professional and not personal.

In this case, go with the standard response. Standardization is a good quality in a pilot.

Good luck.

Do some research on the company. Then align their core values with your attributes. It shows you know something about the company, and that they are not just another "stopover" for you.

I would not bring the illness into the conversation, as the employer will believe you will be taking time off work to take care of the family member. While they cannot "not hire you" over this situation, believe me, they will find some other reason to eliminate you.

Thanks for the responses. I have been through several interviews before and have received some coaching in the past but it's been several years since then.

I know when this question comes up, I'll just answer as is and not bring up my personal issues/wants/needs on the side. I mean, the company wants to know why I want to work for them, so I'll tell them, no more no less. However, in a few instances I've been asked similar questions in relation like "Why do you want to leave home and work here where winters last 5-6 months?" or "What does (city,state) have that yours doesn't?" "How do your family and friends feel about you possibly moving out here?" Perhaps they were just trying to get an initial reaction out of me.

It's been a while and I'm just trying to get back in the interview train of thought. Honestly, the underlying part of wanting this job is so I can be back home and having more time with the family. But we'll just go ahead and keep that between us. ;) thanks again for the input.....

Don't anybody yell at me, but what might some 'core values' of an airline be? How does one figure out what they are?

Core values??? You're kidding right??? These CEOs give themselves huge amounts of money and bonuses and early retirements. They have "core values" alright. They figure how much "value" they can suck out of the company as quickly as they can before the company hits the skids.

That stuff is all PR pap. Business school crap to give the appearance of leading and fooling the gullible, while obscuring the real objective . . . . getting as much as they can as fast as they can.

The Mission Statement

GeneralAv said:
Don't anybody yell at me, but what might some 'core values' of an airline be? How does one figure out what they are?

Every company should have a Mission Statement. I'm pretty sure that's what Draginass was referring to.

;)

This is a short statement, directed mostly to the investors but also the employees, to remind everyone of exactly what they're trying to accomplish.

Here's an example: http://www.alaskasworld.com/jobs/asjobs/default.asp

P.S. Look for the kid with the toy airplane.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back