• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ANR headsets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No wonder we are taking paycuts. Listen to yourselves talking about noise cancleing headsets. Let me guess, instead of going to the bar on layovers you get pedicures and then go back to the room and work on home schooling lesson plans. Do you think our predecessors from the 60s and 70s(you know the ones who went on strike to build the contracts we just gave up and carried that flask of scotch for debriefs) would have used noise cancleing headsets? Hell no. They did not even have wheels on their suitcases until the mid/late 80s. Yeah, yeah, yeah I know they all have tendon damage in the elbows, can't hear (at least they won't have to listen to their wives in retirement) No just messing with you. I know the seinwhatevers are tso'd for use but did not think the bose were.

Here's a second recommendation for the uflymike.com adapter ($195) for the Bose QC2. Give them a call--I think they have a model specifically designed for the Airbus.

I agree with everything SWA2000 posted about the setup. In addition, it's a lot smaller than the Bose Aviation X headset, and the uflymike adapter fits right in the QC2 case, which easily slips into a flight bag. The single AAA battery disappears into the headset, so there's no bulky box dangling from the cord like on the Bose X or a lot of other aviation ANR headsets. I usually get about 4-5 eight-hour flights out of a single battery, and it's easy to carry a small stack of AAA's to replace them. (That's in a very noisy 747--in a quiet cockpit like the A320, you're probably looking at even longer battery life.)

The QC2 is actually better as an aviation headset than for its intended purpose, due to the fact that it seems to let voices through. That's great for chatting cross-cockpit, but hurts its effectiveness in keeping the crying baby sounds out of your ears on the deadheads. For that, I recommend earbuds from Shure, which, even when they're not connected to an audio source, work better than earplugs. I usually don't hear a dang thing on a flight until I feel the pressurization change in the descent--no "Folks, we're now level at 35,000 feet" or "the captain has turned on the fasten seat belt sign" yadda yadda crap. They're a bit on the expensive side, typically priced at $99 (e2c), $179 (e3c), $299 (e4c), or $499 (e5c), but you will forget all about that the first time you use them to make a loud baby or PA-lovin' captain disappear on a deadhead. (I have the e2c, and they work just great.)

As for TSO, I don't know about the regs, but an FAA inspector that rode with us recently thought the uflymike adapter was the greatest idea ever and asked for the website. He had been using his QC2 headset with the standard cord and plug adapter for listening only.

If you're going to buy the Bose QC2, you can get it at Crutchfield for the same price as Bose ($299), and, if you haven't purchased anything at Crutchfield before, PM me for a code for 20% off. Also, don't get the newer QuietComfort 3 headset--it's an on-the-ear not over-the-ear model so it won't work as well for the low-frequency noise in an airplane, and the uflymike adapter reportedly doesn't work with it either.

Last edited:
Anyone out there use ANR headsets for the A320? I know it is a quiet airplane but I can use all the help I can get. Was concerned about which ANR headsets are compatible with the 320.

Any help would be appreciated.

Have you tried turning off the cabin blower? I've heard it called "whisper mode." It's nice.

Cheers,
SCR

I don't know much about the 320 but I am using what I think is a great option to a 1000.00 bose headset. One of our pilots made an adapter for the Bose Quiet Comfort II headset. It is an aviation mike that plugs into the Bose QC and you get a stereo ANR headset. The great thing about this option is the versatility. When your up front driving you plug the mike in and it works great. When your in the back on the DH you can use just the Bose QC so you don't have to listen to the guy next to you tell you how he always wanted to be a pilot. The second great thing about this headset is for when you have those long hauls and don't care to listen to the captains lifestory you can plug in an ipod/sat radio staight into the mike. Nothing like flying over the Rockies listening to Freebird!

The total cost for the set up is about 500.00 Bose QC II 299.00 which they will take 12 payments on your CC 0 %

The mike is 199.00 It can be purchased at UFLYMike.com

I don't get paid for pitching this I just think it is the coolest thing out.

When the batteries on the Bose die, do you lose your ability to hear? I've heard that when the batteries go, the headset is usless until the batteries are replaced??

When the batteries on the Bose die, do you lose your ability to hear? I've heard that when the batteries go, the headset is usless until the batteries are replaced??

The QC2 uses a single AAA alkaline in the right ear cup. No dangling control boxes at all, which I really like.

I finished 3 two-day trips on a single aaa battery. There's a little LED on the right ear cup which starts to blink when it's time to change batts. I've had mine blink for 4 hours and it kept going, but I did change it out when I picked up some AAA's in KDEN.

Yes, the headset dies with no battery, but there's a nice little pouch in the QC2 case which can hold a few. It's really a non-issue.

Yes, it's pretty much just like Gorilla said, so don't go a-flyin' with no spares on hand. And I've seen the little light blink for 8 hours before the thing dies, so if you just take a look at it every time before you put the headset on, you're probably going to notice. (If you're the captain, the FO can clue you in, since the light's on the right side.) It's pretty obvious when it's getting critically-low, as stuff starts to sound pretty bad--I always change it long before that when flying, but I've experienced it just listening to music.

uflymike's website also warns not to use rechargables, since they tend to drop off suddenly, whereas alkaline's will fade gradually. If the thing kicks, though, you're going to notice the background noise increase, although YMMV in the electric jet...

Cheers.

I not on the A320 but I would highly recommend the Sennheiser ANR over any other including BOSE.......The only reason why I like them better than bose is the size.....It is much more compact and I don't know any jet other than maybe the 727 which a Bose would be necessary. They are very comfortable, compact, great battery life and the ANR is AWESOME. Here is the link www.sennheiserusa.com. If you are part of ALPA look under your log in for member benefits/Shopping Mall. Here is the info also, but to get the discount which is about $250 you need to enter the web site through your ALAP log on. Hope this helps....I love my head set!

Sennheiser Noise Cancellation Headsets

From the Sennheiser website, ALPA members may view the different types of active/passive noise cancellation headsets available from Sennheiser USA. The Sennheiser USA point of contact is: Mr. Michael Feldbauer, Phone: 860-434-9190 ext. 146, Fax: 860-434-1759, or e-mail: [email protected]. For additional information, view Sennheiser's website.

Which model headset do you own?

Thanks

Latest resources

Back