ANR Headset Comparison

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pavelump

I'm thinking of buying an ANR headset. I'm looking at the David Clark 13X, The Sennheiser HMEC450, and the Telex Stratus D-50. They all are right around the same price when you factor in the discounts available.

Now before I get flamed for not doing my research, I have done a search of the forums. And just to put it out there, I can't afford the Bose and I don't want the big purple Lightspeed 3G.

It seems that most are happy with the 13X, but does anybody have any experience with the Telex or Sennheiser. Anybody try more than one of these three models?

I'm flying a relatively loud Swedish turboprop and I'd like that hum to stop...

I own both the Bose X and the Sennheiser HMEC 200's, I think. I at one point also used the lightspeed 20's, and David Clark ANR,s. Out of all of those nothing compared to the Bose. I know they cost more, but I found it to be worth it.

The lightspeeds broke before the 3rd use. So I sent them back. The DC's were common DC's worked , but heavy and uncomfortable. THE best 2 I have worn were the SEnnheiser and Bose. Both were pretty good initially, that is until I had a mic problem with the Sennheiser's. I sent them back to be fixed and they were returned with more broken than when I sent them off. Total I returned them 7 x's and they even completly replaced them once. That is when I decided to go with the Bose. I purchased them on there 30 day trial and never returned them. They have good tech support and always seem to work. I have returned them once in the 3 years since I bought them. This was to have them cleaned after a Coke exploded on them and to have the newer AA power supply put on. I told them I needed them ASAP and they were sent off on a Monday 2 nd day air and Fixed/cleaned/shipped back to me overnight the same day they received them.

I know this is just my 2 cents and I am sure some of the problems I had are probably not that common, but I have found you get what you pay for. If you want something very lightweight, I would try the lighter weight Sennheiser you are talking about. If you want something that is proven to work well I would suggest the Bose X or may try the telex 50's. Most places do offer a 30 money back trial. So with that being the case try what you want 1st and see how it works for ya, you can always return it and try another.

Last edited:
I love the Stratus 50D. The headset is somewhat bulky, but there are absolutely no pressure points caused by the headset anywhere on my head. The noise cancellation is second to none. I regularly use a Bose in the King Air, and have found the stratus to be a little quieter and a lot more comfortable. The Bose causes slight discomfort to my ears. If you use alkaline batteries in the Stratus, they should last about 50 hours. Rechargeables last about 25-30 hours. I just bought a 48 pack of AA alkaline batteries at Costco for under $10. They're made by Duracell and are sold under the Kirkland Signature brand name.

Buy the Bose. Lightyears ahead of "all of the above", imo. As a bonus, it'll shutdown at the gate all by itself saving batteries. I can fly a month on 4 AA batteries.

Gup

I've heard from FO's also flying one of those "relatively loud Swedish turboprop's" that his set got rather banged up and barely lasted a year.

This also could have been caused by abuse from the jealous capt's.

Why are you bashing the lightspeeds? I have tried the Sennheiser HMEC450 and the Telex Stratus D-50. I was terribley dissappointed with both. the telex is just as bulky as the lightspeeds and the anr box is huge. i think it takes like 4-6 AA. Sennheiser may make good headphones for music but not aviation. Lightspeed has outstanding customer support also. I cannot speak for david clark because i have never used a pair or wanted to use a pair. they look just like all the other cheap ones. And I think that they are terribly over rated. Pro pilot does a headset survery once a year but I am not sure when it comes out. I think it is in the next month or so. last year lightspeed came in second behind the over priced bose X.

over priced bose X

You get what you pay for. I've been using my Bose X for five years now and wouldn't consider putting anything else on my head. If you can't afford them up front go with the 12 month interest free payment plan. I think its about $84/month. You may have to cut a few beers out of your budget but a few hundred extra bucks is not unobtainable.

DoinTime said:
You get what you pay for. I've been using my Bose X for five years now and wouldn't consider putting anything else on my head. If you can't afford them up front go with the 12 month interest free payment plan. I think its about $84/month. You may have to cut a few beers out of your budget but a few hundred extra bucks is not unobtainable.

Second-ed.

Latest resources

Back