• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Another drunk airline pilot?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gee, I've always wanted to work for a company that was fodder for Jay Leno monologues. Aren't I lucky?

IF this story is accurate, the guy needs to fry. There's no excuse for this.

Ridiculous!

I agree...there is absolutely no excuse for this crap! If this story turns out to be accurate, then this guy needs to be made into an example and do some hard time. This is not what the f@#$ the industry needs right now, or ever.

Sorry, but this sort of thing really touches a nerve...off the soapbox now.

KingAirKiddo

boozing it up

keep boozing it up boys and you will make room for us older people who know how to conduct our selves,,,,,,,,,,,,,

any one know how old this pilot was ???:cool:

ILS JNKY,

Intresting you assume the ASA pilot is young. Why? As for the boys at AWA.The captain looked old enough to be my dad.

There is a very small minority that conducts themselves in that manor. Focus on building time, not taking the seniority number of a drunk pilot.

AAflyer

Most likely this kind of thing has been going on for a long time and now that someone in security got an atta boy the discovery of drunk pilots will be in the news for a while. As my favorite talk show host says, "If the folks in airport security got a job at the Cinnabon it would be a promotion." That doesn't mean it is ok to fly drunk. Sadly what it means is that there are Captains and FO's, FA's who regularly most likely smell alcohol on each others breath and don't say anything about it. "Good morning my union brother! I'll rally support around you by allowing you to endanger the lives of the crew and the passengers because I'm so awesome I really don't need you here anyhow" (insert snorting laugh with big toothy grin). "I be so bad!" Many people will this as security doing a better job but what is really happening is they are seeking some recognition and will get it because of the failure of flight crews to do the right thing to begin with. Don't just turn him in either. Kick his ass! If your up fairly high in something with a side window, kick his ass and then throw him out the window. "Good morning my union brother! I smell alcohol on your breath." BIP, BAP, PAAAAAATANG! THUMP!" and then call the police. That would make great news footage from the boarding area. "Ladies and gentleman if you will look through the glass behind me you will see what appears to be another drunk pilot (pan over and zoom in on guy getting his ass kicked and thrown out the cockpit and falling a couple stories to the ground) THUD! The crowd goes wild! Cheers! Suddenly someone starts "the wave" through B concourse. That's how it should go. Don't give the security screeners the victory, steal the ball and run for the touchdown!

RT

FL000,

You beat me to it.

Rumple, you may want to edit that post a bit when the fog clears bud...it was a little difficult to follow.

ILS JNKY,

Careful. You're falling into the same trap that the Leno crowd is in, making assumptions about 1,500 people based on the activities of one. And as AAflyer already hinted at, you're not winning any friends in the Part 121 community with an attitude like that.

When you talk about ATP's with alcohol problems, you're talking about a very small minority. And as for the age of ASA's first officers, the one's I've flown with lately have been between twenty-three and fifty-five, with the average being about thirty-five. Believe it or not, not all the twenty-somethings were were booze-hounds, and not all the fifty-somethings were paragons of virtue.

As a thirty-year-old captain, I'm tired of hearing about how young pilots just can't be responsible. How many incident-free hours have you flown in a 53,000 pound fifty-seat turbojet, old-timer?

Some of you are making some pretty bold statements considering no official word or test results have been released.

Let's as pilots take the high road and (unlike the bloodthirsty and usually wrong news media) wait to see if this is really an incident after all.

When official test results are released and if he was drunk, then you can have your public hanging if you so desire. But it would be better to get help for this individual than to fire him to save your pride, don't you think. (Yes, I know the individual).

Its the massive amount of chlorine in the water I make my coffee with. :D I was just being silly but I guess what I'm seeing in all this isn't that there is a sudden rash of drunk pilots but that there probably will be a sudden rash of reporting them by security screeners. Why? Because the person who got the first two probably got a $20 gift certificate to the piggly wiggly and a job well done. Word got around etc. This would have never happened if flight crews would police themselves and not let anyone get on the a/c drunk, hungover, etc. Weed them out from within. No one with any brains believes that this is the first time those two (America West) or this guy with ASA (if it's true) ever flew drunk, hungover. If they were never allowed to do so (read if someone had the good sense/guts to stop them and turn them in) then those things could have been handled without all the massive publicity that these cases and the ones that follow will get. Publicity aside, stopping them, turning them in is the right thing to do but it is horrible that the only folks willing to do it are the screeners.

RT

Latest resources

Back