Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Joe Jet Pilot

By ROGAN M. SMITH, Associated Press Writer

The pilot of the small plane that crashed in the Bahamas last year — killing 22-year-old singer and actress Aaliyah, himself and seven others — had traces of cocaine and alcohol in his body, aviation officials said Tuesday.

An autopsy performed on Luis Antonio Morales Blanes' body revealed cocaine in his urine and traces of alcohol in his stomach, the Bahamas Department of Civil Aviation said in a statement.

Authorities are investigating how the substances might have affected the pilot at the time of the August crash. Morales, 30, was sentenced to three years probation on charges of crack cocaine possession 12 days before the crash.

Here is the link for the whole story:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020717/ap_en_mu/bahamas_aaliyah_crash_6

I noticed a related article was in the USelessA Today also. Kind of ironic they bring this back to life just after the AWA pilot incident. They knew when they did the biopsy that this guy was on cocain. This story has no point other than to slander pilots. Now were not only drunks were cocain addicts too. Real nice. I love the media.

I wouldn't call that guy a professional pilot. The stuff I have seen them doing with some of those light planes down in the Carib. amazes me. I don't think they have ever considered weight and balance as a factor at some of those outfits. You get what you pay for.....

Latest resources

Back