• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TriStar_drvr

The following was published on the ATA pilot's website today:

Hiring Update

June 12, 2003

We continue to accept resumes and interview. Hiring will continue through August 2003.

We have hired 112 new First Officers in 2003.

We plan to hire an additional 40 – 60 First Officers through August.

Please note that the procedure for checking on recommended applicants will change in the near future to an e -mail based system. Please check the website for additional information in July.

The competition continues to be extreme. Your recommendations do make a big difference, so make sure you are comfortable with anyone you bring to our attention. Remember that you can get someone on the fast track, but they still must be competitive with other applicants. Make sure you emphasize to your friends that the application must be completed in a professional manner and that the simulator evaluation is a major component in the hiring process.

Thank you for you letters. If you need any additional information, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Mike Gerdes
Regional Chief Pilot
Flight Deck Reading File 03-47

Make sure you emphasize to your friends that the application must be completed in a professional manner

I also can't emphasize this enough. If you receive an application, fill it out very neatly. Think carefully about the essay questions, and if you have trouble with spelling and grammar, have your responses proofread by some who knows what is correct.

Good luck,
Brad

P.S. In response to another thread on this board, I also agree that ATA is one of the best LCC to work for.

TriStar_drvr/Brad,

Thanks for this post. You might remember me from another thread on ATA when you suggested I go back to my friend in ATA for a LOR who was misinformed.

I'm trying to get a hold of him but he has not responded yet. However, I do appreciate this info from "the horse's mouth". At least some of the mystery/myth of the hiring process is much clearer.

I never once doubted that the competition was great, it always is in these times (been there, done that). Also, I wholeheartedly agree with the stuff about professionalism & proof-reading your app etc. It's amazing how many people spell your when really they mean you're or you are. But I digress. The essay type questions are rare on an airline app but not totally unheard of. British Airways uses them on their apps and they select candidates for interview based primarily on your answers in that section. They assume you already have the reqd mins etc. So, I agree with you that you should spend time carefully thinking about your answers, making sure your answer fits into the given space - and is legible!

Just one more point. I have several former coworkers at ATA, some of whom I flew with but they are all newbies (since the beginning of the year). Should I try use them for LORs, would they carry enough "weight" as a new hire to make a difference?
What if I have not physically flown with the guy, just know him?

Once again, thanks for all this USEFUL info and your encouraging words. I'll keep trying.

ATA Application

Howdy -
This question has probably already been addressed, but here it is anyway.

Is it better/easier to type the ATA app or do it in hand printing? It looks like printing would be easier especially on the essay questions. Any help is appreciated. It's sitting on my desk at this very moment taunting me!

Hiring numbers

We had a new hire ride out with us to PHX to start ground school on Sunday night, he wanted to ride up front to see how it was done, I replied "But wouldn't you rather learn it the proper way????" Anyway, I digress. This new hire said that one day in class the 757 fleet manager came in and said that they plan on hiring another 250 people this year. I asked if maybe he didn't mean a total of 250, this guy insisted that what was said was 250 additional. I dunno....

I typed my responses to the essay questions, if I needed more room than was on the app I used regular paper to continue.

A letter from a new hire will be just as good as a letter from a pilot who has been here a while.

I printed the bulk of the application by hand but I did the essay questions on my computer, printed them out, and annotated "see enclosed" for the first question. I tried to keep my responses to the length they would have been if I had printed them out. Worked for me (I have a Jun 30 class date :) ) Good Luck!

ATA Application

Since nothing is specified, I think the rule of thumb - as for ANY job application - is to make sure that it is legible and neat with correct spelling & grammar. If your computer has a spell checker, use it! If not, use either a dictionary or get someone else proof read it. The most common spelling/grammar mistake (seen on this board many times!) is "your" when you really mean "you are" or its contraction, "you're".
The decision to print or type is a personal one. If you have "spiddery" writing, then perhaps it's better to type as your handwriting will definitely be noticed and you don't want to give anyone ammo to screen you out! On the other hand, sometimes your writing will work for you - if it's neat. My recommendation is to make sure that if you print, you print EVERYTHING in block capitals, make sure your essay answers fit NEATLY into the space provided (if not, continue on an extra sheet and annotate that you have done this) & print in blue or preferably, black ink for reproductions.
Just as important is that you follow directions which are usually on the front of the app. In essence this is a TEST to see if you can follow directions! Don't be your own worse enemy!!
Good luck.

Latest resources

Back