Another American Airlines Incident

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think you are right,

We probably agree on more than we disagree on.

We can parse it to death. I was just trying to say that some people believe freedom means the right to do anything without anyone restricting them in any way.

I see no difference between Joe Blow on the street and Joe Blow at the airport. What would you say if the government did do random searches and pat downs with uniformed soldiers on the streets in the name of safety. After all, suicide bombers in Israel blow themselves up in public regularly. Would you favor that? Where does it end? See what I'm getting at here?

I am certainly not in favor of that. But I see a difference. People pay to get on an airplane and be safe. They expect the airline, the airport, and the government to share in the role of protecting them. Anytime you expect the government to intervene, you are automatically going to sacrifice some of your freedom in exchange for some other benefit (safety in this case). Thats all.

To help combat stuff like this, I personally would like to see a lot more concealed carry by citizens in our society. Wouldn't stop a bomber, but may discourage or prevent other crime from occuring. Afterall, we have already said that the government can not be all places, all the time, always there to be the first to act to protect us. I am strongly in favor of flight crews being armed as a last line of defense, behind a strong cockpit door, at least 2 air marshalls on board, cabin crew members armed with non-lethal weapons/stunguns, better educated/qualified security screeners.

Anyways thanks for the engaging discussion. Also thanks for reminding me of exactly where I heard Juanito. I was TDY to the east side for a couple of months as a new Captain (nothing like Ottumwa in the dead of winter), but primarily was based out of DEN. Take care

This was one of my favorites.....
Juanito: Tanx for your times and see yoooo!
Me: Hey Juanito, one more thing...
Juanito: yes sir?
Me: Seeeeeeee YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
PS. Sorry 'bout the off topic post but you just had to be there!

?????I strongly suggest you refrain from personal attacks if you wish to continue to debate here.
See you on the line.????

Huh??? Ifly..??? Weren't you defending the constitution a few posts ago???? Didn't want to be searched for 'no reason'???? Now you are threatening freedom of speech??? What gives dear?

Sandy said:
?????I strongly suggest you refrain from personal attacks if you wish to continue to debate here.
See you on the line.????

Huh??? Ifly..??? Weren't you defending the constitution a few posts ago???? Didn't want to be searched for 'no reason'???? Now you are threatening freedom of speech??? What gives dear?

Yes, I defend the Constitution... including the right to free speech. In light of this, I encourage you to exercize your right to free speech and open your own web site. There, you can make all the personal attacks you want.
As for this web site, it is privately owned. The owner has asked me and others to keep it clean and run the way he would like it to be. Therefore, there will be healthy, heated debate, but no personal attacks or flamebait. This is the webmaster's freedom of speech... it's his house. You can abide by his house rules, or you can go elsewhere.
You may email the webmaster at [email protected] with further comments.
Ifly4food

Hey IFF...privately owned??? I think Mark just got through selling about $5000 worth of stock!

Just kidding, man. You're doing a good job.

FL000

Thank you RJ pilot for backing me up on ifly4food. Some people just make you wonder and shake your head.

All the security in the world will not stop the criminals who wish to bring us harm. The solution lies in the reason why they wish to do so. Is it because we have these cool airplanes the reason why we are disliked in other parts of the world? I think not, there in lies the answer. If just for a moment we, as Americans, can look at the bigger picture and solve this riddle we will live in a much safer world. Just a thought................

Good debate

For the most part, it wa good to see Avbug back joyfully filling the internet with well sought prose only to run head on into ifly4food. At least some thinking going on and mercy to those who chose to get in the middle of them.

El Al is always pointed to as the picture of perfection in these matters. What would concern me is what confronts them. We have a secure airline in an insecure world.

While aircraft make good targets, we should all be concerned that this does not come to our malls, our schools, our parks, our musems, our concerts, our ballgames, etc.

We can have safer aircraft and airlines, I just hope that it remains safe to get there. Israel should be an excellent example to us all. They will attack our Freedom with our freedom. Yesterdays aircraft will be tomorrows semi-trailer truck. We must travel with vigilance for we are in harms way.

FL000 said:
Hey IFF...privately owned??? I think Mark just got through selling about $5000 worth of stock!

Just kidding, man. You're doing a good job.

FL000

Yea, but it was a minority share! ;)

Latest resources

Back