Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sleepy

Living The Dream!
Just wondering, what do you get for you annual cost-of-living salary increase. I am talking percentages, not actual dollars.

Right now I get nothing. After 3 years with the same employer am asking for 5% "COLA" (I think it is called). Not sure if I'll get it or not.

Irony is that after years of mediocrity am now seeing some decent income. Just cannot believe how expensive it has become to live in the interim, never mind get ahead.

Historically, over long periods of time the cost of living increases about 2.8% per year. Obviously the area you are in may be slightly more or less than this number in various years but it's a good number to start with if you'e looking for a raise. In other words, beat 3% or so each year and you'll be ahead of the game over the long-term. Much easier however to change jobs for 15-20% increases than it is to try and move ahead by getting yearly raises.

Mr. I.

Just cannot believe how expensive it has become to live in the interim, never mind get ahead.

It's America - do like the folks you haul around did and make something happen. It will only get worse (more expensive & less benefits) if you, or any of us, doesn't take control - get financially smart, start a business, make more dough - you get the idea.

AZT

Thanks for the replies. At our place most people seem to get between 1 and 5 percent per year. I guess that is fairly standard?

Unless bonuses are also part of the package or the company is in financial difficulty, I'd hazard that one percent is a message on the part of the company; Please take a look at the door!

Mr. I.

Unless bonuses are also part of the package or the company is in financial difficulty, I'd hazard that one percent is a message on the part of the company; Please take a look at the door!

Mr. I.

Very true, I guess they want to get rid of almost everyone.

Mr. I.

Actually, this depends are where you are in your pay range versus perfromance in many companies. If you are near max in a range a raise may only be 1-2 percent. The lower you are in range and better perfromer you get more...at least in our company.

Actually, this depends are where you are in your pay range versus perfromance in many companies. If you are near max in a range a raise may only be 1-2 percent. The lower you are in range and better perfromer you get more...at least in our company.

Yes, you are right, it seems that the more you make the smaller the COLA raise. This does not include restricted stock awards, which are based on performance + position. The only big raises we get are for promotions. A lot of people are unhappy because the annual raises don't even keep up with inflation in most cases. I was just wondering if it is like that every where else.

Latest resources

Back