Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

airgator

FUBIJAR
I had my heart set on going Guard, however the other day while I was setting up my AFOQT and filling out forms w/ the AF reserve recruiter he kept telling me what a great deal the reserves are and so on. I know he's got a quota to fill, so maybe someone can shed some light on the difference between the guard and reserve, lifestyle, flexibility, etc. I plan on flying commercially on the side once I get settled and finish flight school, and location is not a factor as I am pretty much willing to go anywhere. I'm taking the test June 3, but I am trying to get everything in line so I can possibly have a shot at the Sept boards.

There are some differences between the Reserves (all branches) and the National Guard (Air and Army).

Obligation. Each member of the reserve component (Reserve and National Guard) must attend IDT (inactive duty for training) and AT (annual training). Drills (IDT periods) are normally scheduled on weekends. Some drills may begin on a Friday afternoon to accomodate scheduling of certain, required events. Annual Training is usually a two weeek active duty period sometime during the training year. National Guard members do 15 days of AT. Reserve members do 14 days. These are all paid.

If one is on flight status, he/she must complete ATFPs (additional flight training periods) to maintain proficiency. These are also paid. Combined with drill and AT pay, you'll find yourself with a nice second income.

Command. The National Guard and the Reserve differ here. The National Guard falls under the command of the governor of each state/territory during peace time. The President is also the commander in chief. This is why the National Guard is called up for state duty such as civil unrest or natural disasters. The Reserves have no such obligation.

Promotions. Each state can promote its own personnel in the Guard. In the case of officers/warrant officers (Army only), federal recognition must be granted after promotion by their respective state. Reserve officers don't have the state beuracracy (sp?) to contend with.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Good luck...fly safe!

Slim's Right

Slim is pretty much dead on. The only difference there might be is that the reserve's tend to still make you wear a hat, salute, and call people sir. I can't remember how to do that anymore.
Slim is also VERY right about having to deal with the state beaucracy thing. My unit is going through that stuff right now and some heads are gonna roll! Over all, I feel the Guard is the best thing to ever happen to me('Cept for my wife!). My first year out of training?
Hawaii-6times
Guam
England-3times
Germany-2times
Hungary-Flew a Mig-29!
Netherlands
Thats's just off the top of my head, and it does'nt count statestide flying! I was and still am a bum and I got about 650 hrs last year flying a 4 engine heavy, and I'm about to upgrade to Aircraft Commander. That's kinda hard to beat, in my estimation.

Another Difference

I was in the Air Guard for ten years and have been in the AF Reserves since '96. I've enjoyed both and have made a bunch
of good friends. There is one major difference, though.

Unless it's changed in the past few years, the Air Guard has state annual training days. You can do more than 15 of those in a year but any performed after 15 for the year don't count for retirement points. In the Reserves EVERY active duty day you perform is a federal retirement point.

I'm only talking about Guard annual training. They get a lot of federal mandays for deployments and such. When I was a Guard Bum I performed quite a few extra annual training days that other members had given back. I got paid but didn't get retirement points for those days. It adds up.

Best of luck in whatever you do. They're both topnotch organizations and you will have a lifetime of great memories from either!!

Hurricane hunters?

Bssthound-
Thanks for the info. Are you or were you by any chance in the 53rd? (WC-130 in your profile)? That is probably going to be the first packet I send out. Do they tend to hire guys off the street with no mil background?

Matt

A retirement point is awarded for each IDT period (up to 48 per year) and each day of AT (usually 15...14 for the Reserve). Points are also awarded for completing so many correspondence course hours and for each day of active duty for training (basic training, UPT, etc.). A member may earn up to 90 points annually, not including active duty points. If you were to serve 10 years on active duty before entering the National Guard/Reserve, you have 3,650 retirement points. One also receives 15 gratuitous points for membership. A minimum of 50 points is required for one good year.

After obtaining 20 good years for retirement, a member of the National Guard/Reserve will receive a "20 year letter." That letter certifies eligibility for retirement pay at age 60. BTW, there is legislation which, if passed, will reduce the retirement age to 55.

The points are plugged into a formula to determine retirement pay. The day you enter military service determines which formula is used.

In addition to the 48 Inactive Duty Points per year Slim mentioned, flyers get 48 Additional Flying Training Periods. One can accomplish two of these per day, just like a drill, a max of 16 per quarter. That's how 90 inactive points are possible (I do realize 48 + 48 is 96).

Yes, airgator, I'm currently in the 53d. We have hired some guys off the street for UPT. One just passed his final checkride today.
It's a good unit, we have a lot of fun together. PM me if you want, I'm heading out tomorrow for an ASA trip, though.

Reserves

Hey, let the record show that we in the Reserves can be as unprofessional as the Guard.......we too sometimes don't were our hat.....lol.....messes up our hair.....which pushes regs on a regular basis....

Retired Act. Duty --> Guard

Anybody going from recently retired to full-time guard? Admittedly, I haven't researched-- any problem with retired pay vs. guard pay? I suspect this would only be an issue with reserves--? I would also suspect that you need to know someone and these jobs are in demand--? Thanks

Latest resources

Back