ANG ?'s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

VWDrvr21

Hey guys I am currently pursuing a career with a Guard unit this upcoming summer. I was wondering if anyone on here had any tips for getting on with a unit? I've toured the base once and have a contact in the unit that I'm interested in. Since the last time I was there, they put a stop to all visits by UPT candidates. Is there anything that I could do to help improve my chances of being selected for the boards?

Appreciate the help!

My info is going back more than 10 years now, but it may help. I interviewed in the 97-98 time frame.

To take a stab at your question:

1. keep in touch with your contact (very important) as best as you can without bugging him/her.
2. get all the tests done - bats, afoqt (they may be called something else now) and physical (if you can)
3. 4 year
4. 3 recs. one from your contact or someone in the unit, one from a professor and one from an employer (boss) or flight instructor. These three recs or similar will cover a wide spectrum of your life and personality allowing the interview (UPT) board to get a good idea of you in the absence of actually being able to personally know you.
5. get some flight time (solo at least) pvt license is better. If cost is a problem look into sailplanes (somewhat less $$). A pvt. sailplane license (or at least solo) shows you like flying, have some aptitude and can apply yourself in a training environment
6. stay in shape
7. have your package (cover letter, resume, recs, copies of docs like flying license, medicals, birth cert (if asked)) ready to go before they ask for it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back