Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Viperguy

Hello out there,

I am seeking some advise. I have applied to quite a few fighter squadrons this year, and so far haven't even received an interview. I feel that my packet looks good. I have very good scores on the AFOQT, and BAT, PCSM 97. The one thing that might be standing in my way is my GPA. I have slightly less than a 3.0. I am curious if that puts me out of contention for selections. I don't feel that my grades relfect my true level of knowledge. I am currently an airline pilot, and I fly aerobatics on the weekends. All I want to do with my life right now is serve in the military and fly fighters. Should I stop applying? I don't want to give up, so I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this subject.
thanks.

Fighter Units are extremely hard to get into. From what I saw fighter units get usually around 250 applicants for1 or 2 slots. They guard is also about who you know too. Most units will try to give preference to people already in the unit. So that can tend to lock up at least one of those slots.

You might have better luck looking into a Airlift, Bomber orTanker unit.

Less applicants and with multi time you would be very qualified. You can still find very fullfilling flying. You might want to look into the reserve units also.

good luck

You (almost) have to rush the unit itself...i.e...show up. Shake hands, kiss babies, do the political route. It's what I was told, so I researched the units I was interested in, and started showing up. Call their Operations Flight Commander, get their drill weekends, and be in the room for role call. Sometime during the morning, ask who you should talk to about a job. It's VERY forward, but effective. Your personality takes over and helps the shortcomings of your resume. Don't hesitate to call and schedule a meeting with the Ops Flt Commander as well, and show up polished. Just what you want to look like as a good first impression.

Best of luck.

Best way

I second what Chickenhawk had to say about getting face time with the pilots. If you really want fighters that bad, consider applying for another officer position within the unit first, then going for UPT. I have found that people that are already in the unit have a great advantage over outsiders given two applicants with equal qualifications. That's how I got the job, anyways.

Later,

Flaco

Face Time

I'm sorry, I don't recall the name with the FACE! (hint, hint)

p.s. There is nothing wrong with your grades.

Last edited:
thanks for the comments

Thanks to those of you who have responded. I guess I was getting somewhat discouraged for not receiving an interview this first time out. I went to one of my best friend's fighter graduation receptions this past weekend and have found a new renewal of my desire to fly Vipers. I figure when he gets back to his unit, I can get to know those guys better and "rush" the fraternity! I am also going to shot-gun alot more apps. next season. That should at least add to my odds of getting an interview.

Please feel free to post any further thoughts or recommendations you all may have.

Wow!!! Here's a different perspective.

A lot of guys and gals that are AD pilots try to get guard/reserve jobs with no luck. They even fly the same planes as the unit. Strange, isn't it.

It's all who you know. Just like the AIRLINES right now. For example, Frontier is not hiring military pilots. They are hiring only furloughees that have contacts in the company. Hmmmm.

Regards and good luck,

SR

Skyrunner, it took me years to get into my unit. I actually went through four commanders. Of course being a home state unit fueled my desire. Every time we came home, I stopped in to visit. My wife even told me to stop humiliating myself, but it finally worked (after burning a serious bridge).

Viperguy, be persistent, the units need lieutenants for rank structure issues. Don't let the fact that your buddy just returned to the unit get you down. When a unit hires you it typically takes THREE years before you are a full up round. Will age be an issue?

I am proud of my friend's success. He is definitely trying to find me a home in the Guard. He is returning to the unit I have always wanted to be a part of. I grew up nearby... Age is not an issue as of yet. I am 24 currently. So I guess I have a few more years to keep at it.

Once again thanks for the replies!

That's my point

CCDiscoB,

Yep. I was AD for 11 years. It took me around 3 years of knobbing with my unit to get hired. Luckily I knew a lot of guys and gals in the unit. It didn't hurt that I was moving to the area and my wife was from there.

My point is that getting a good gaurd/res job right now is like getting hired by the airlines. It's very tough and you have to be persistent. Firing off resumes to units that don't know you probably will not help.

Viper,

Unfortunately, whether you like it or not, you are going to have to actually meet people in the unit. Call it a long interview. My advice would be to join the unit and work a slot that way. With your credentials(sp), you should have very little problems getting a slot if you are in the unit. Units like to hire from within before they go looking outside. Good luck and fly safe,

SR

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back