ANG: Part Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MarineGrunt asked:
We're not talking about big sexy 1LT (soon to be Capt I assume) B.C. are we?

No, he's in the other squadron but he and I are in the desert together right now. I will pass on your salutation when I see him again.

It was def a chick she wasn't part of the guard unit she was active duty I think she ran the program we did for base visits and the like. I don't swing that way nice try tho lol.

nice try tho lol

Yeah, I saw that one right over the plate and just had to swing at it!!

Transport? Low/slow vs nimble/fast? Not sure what your getting at.

Both would be fun to me. Trying to do my research to see which one would be a better overall fit for what I want.

Before you decide what unit to pursue...look past the airplane and look at the mission.

My old guard unit flew F-4's before we went to Herks. In the nearly 25 years they flew Phantoms, they crossed the pond twice. They went to Alaska once I think. Me...in 12 years, I have been to over 50 countries..crossing the pond more times that I can think of...and comfortably...all be it slowly!

If you want to fly "fast and nimble" go fighters. If you want to see the world and fly more than 150 hours in a year, go "low and slow". Flying both would be ideal. Maybe fly pointy nose airplanes when you are young and then go heavies later in life.

Define YOUR personal mission and then choose the path that gets you there.

Before you decide what unit to pursue...look past the airplane and look at the mission.

My old guard unit flew F-4's before we went to Herks. In the nearly 25 years they flew Phantoms, they crossed the pond twice. They went to Alaska once I think. Me...in 12 years, I have been to over 50 countries..crossing the pond more times that I can think of...and comfortably...all be it slowly!

If you want to fly "fast and nimble" go fighters. If you want to see the world and fly more than 150 hours in a year, go "low and slow". Flying both would be ideal. Maybe fly pointy nose airplanes when you are young and then go heavies later in life.

Excellent info. I didnt know they were so different in deployment frequency. Thanks.

Im young so Ill take the fast and nimble in my young age I found both to be bad@ss but I think while I can take it Ill do the fighter route and switch to the C130 its equally as bad@ss.

Im young so Ill take the fast and nimble in my young age I found both to be bad@ss but I think while I can take it Ill do the fighter route and switch to the C130 its equally as bad@ss.

Youth has nothing to do with being a fighter pilot. Skill and treachery beats youth every time. Besides...after flying jet X for 15 years you're just going to want to switch to jet Y? Not likely. Odds are, the MWS you start in is the one you finish in. Not always, but usually.

Take Jets if you can get them

I'm flying the C-130 in the ANG and it's a decent gig. However, I'd give my left arm to have flown a pointy ended airplane. I tried for fighters and ended up getting selected for armed helos on active duty (USMC). Do your best to find a fighter unit. You can always fly tankers or transports later in life, but it's hard to go from transports to fighter at age 35 or 40. Chances are your reserve unit won't have manned fighters in 10 years anyway. Reserve units come and go, and do change missions and platforms.

A smart guy would get a flight school slot, and then come home and pursue an advanced education using the free educational benefits available from the military. Pick up your MBA, law degree, or a doctorate while working your way up the military rank structure. Do the airlines if you dare, or go try and make some big bucks in business, law, or finance. Corporate America loves young educated go getters with a previous military flight background.

Best of luck! PS.. don't forget about active duty opportunites in the Navy and Marines. Naval aviation is in my opinion a great place to play for a while.

MarineGrunt asked:

No, he's in the other squadron but he and I are in the desert together right now. I will pass on your salutation when I see him again.
Just tell him that we'll "get some chilli-dogs over by gate A-7 since we're 'Right on time..."
:beer:

How many ANG units fly C-17s? Are they pretty competitive?

Another question. A friend of mine toured a Valdosta, GA based C130 at an airshow recently and he was surprised that the flight crew included a Flight Engineer as well as a radio operator. How common is it for C130s to include radio operators? Do the PIC/SIC not use the radio in flight?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back