• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ANG: Part Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is ZERO similarities between flying a -8 and a -130...well not ZERO but you know what I mean.

Flying is flying...that is the easy part. Employing the weapon system is where you make your money. Flying an ILS to mins in the -8 cannot be compared to an ARA to some crap dirt strip in Afghanistan. When is the last time you led a four ship of -8's low level in the weather?

If you go into an interview with that sort of "attitude", you will get smoked!

No attitude here, the "might be" comment that set you off was basically a qualifier to point out that C130's are not in the same league as fighters which I'm sure you'd agree with. Sorry if it came across wrong.

Believe me, my flying attitude is completely from a "starting over" position. IMO if you don't have that attitude, you will learn less and eventually kill yourself and a bunch of others. Not to mention piss off a bunch of guys way more experienced that myself.

I think alot of guys are embarrassed to not know what they are doing sometimes and just make up ******************** to explain why they ********************ed up. I'm completely opposite because I take this career seriously.

Thanks for your comments. 130's are by far my best option at the moment, but I'm trying to see if its worth pursuing fighters.

Last edited:
I do. The 135 was great because we went everywhere. I was in it for 4 short years and saw the world. I can't speak for today, but I'd guess you'd spend a good bit of time in the Middle East. You'd not have to worry about employment, though. A lot of tax-free Active Duty time and a lot of different stamps on your passport.

I like the 130, also. Again, plenty of opportunities to make extra money. Depending on the unit, you can do some very different kinds of flying. My unit flies into hurricanes, I can't speak for the TAC airlift or Special Ops guys. They do some really cool, challenging stuff. One thing I can say for them: I know a bunch of guys flying different types of 130s and one thing they have in common is they LOVE that airframe!

I loved flying the F-4. It was a dream since early childhood and I got to live it. No, tanker and 130 flying isn't nearly as exciting but I'd not change a thing. I have worked with some of the best people this world has to offer and have had some great times in some really cool places.

You've identified a problem. Fix it. If you don't then you only have yourself to blame. A flying squadron choosing between two qualified people will look at a bunch of stuff before comparing GPAs, if they even do compare them. That being said, you still want the highest possible GPA to show that you're serious and that you do have a good study habit. Unless you're the Commander's son or nephew you don't stand a chance of being considered without a strong GPA.

You've gotten some great advice from two of the most knowledgable people who post here: Magnum!! and AdlerDriver. They both are on the other side of the window you're looking through. Heed what they say. Do that and get your A$$ in the books. It's your ball, either shoot it or wonder about it the rest of your life.

Hurricane Hunters!!! I flew in the C-130J with the guard unit there at Keesler when I had to go do some active work with ROTC.

You've gotten some great advice from two of the most knowledgable people who post here: Magnum!! and AdlerDriver. They both are on the other side of the window you're looking through. Heed what they say. Do that and get your A$$ in the books. It's your ball, either shoot it or wonder about it the rest of your life.

Add Bssthound to that list of suprerior sources. Having taken my oldest daughter for a tour of the WC-130 unit I think I can say I haven't found a finer ambassador for the Reserves. He has also done the regional/part timer thing and has worn a lot of hats, so I think he is another outstanding resource.

FWIW...I had the chance to do an interview prep with a guy preparing for a UPT board next week. I'll tell you what I told him, which is I honestly appreciate guys like you stepping up to take your place in line. I've just retired, Magnum and Adler will follow me out in a few years, and Bssthound too. We need good guys to step up and keep the line going. I wish you the very best, and appreciate your attitude.

Hurricane Hunters!!! I flew in the C-130J with the guard unit there at Keesler when I had to go do some active work with ROTC

Yep! That's my ;) Reserve;) Unit! I probably met you as I usually am involved with group tours, briefings, etc.

Thanks for the kind words, Albie: it was an absolute pleasure on my part!

No attitude here, the "might be" comment that set you off was basically a qualifier to point out that C130's are not in the same league as fighters which I'm sure you'd agree with.

What league are C130's in?

Yep! That's my ;) Reserve;) Unit! I probably met you as I usually am involved with group tours, briefings, etc.

I was there 2 summers ago it was pretty cool. I remember there was a USAFA cadet in the jumpseat and I was on that bench seat with a hot LT when we came in to land. We flew down to New Orleans and then back to do some maneuvers and a bunch of kids puked when you guys did the terrain clearance maneuver. Quite funny I have some pics of it.

I was there 2 summers ago it was pretty cool. I remember there was a USAFA cadet in the jumpseat and I was on that bench seat with a hot LT when we came in to land. We flew down to New Orleans and then back to do some maneuvers and a bunch of kids puked when you guys did the terrain clearance maneuver. Quite funny I have some pics of it.

ALIMBO said
I was on that bench seat with a hot LT

I'll have to let our LT know that you think he's hot.

You have good taste, my wife think's he's hot, too!

ALIMBO said

I'll have to let our LT know that you think he's hot.

You have good taste, my wife think's he's hot, too!
We're not talking about big sexy 1LT (soon to be Capt I assume) B.C. are we? :) Tell him his Marine classmate from 05-13 says hi!

Latest resources

Back