ANG Overview?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ngranger15

Hi I am 17 years old still in high school and am halfway done with my ppl. I'm debating on whether or not to join the ang or af. My long term goal is to fly for the majors. So I guess I would like to know what Basic training is like, and feel free to give any opinons or advice to reaching my goal. Thank You

ANG vs AF

I don't think that you can go wrong with either.
However, if I had it to do all over again I would do my **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**dest to get hired by a guard flying unit while in College and go in their slot to UPT. I would have then stayed full time with them just about as long as I did active duty. The advantages that I see are the ability to become extremely proficient at 1 airframe (assuming no unit conversion), in one location, with a little bit more control of your life.
The bottom line is that they are both military flying, which is a blast and has many rewards. The experience you gain in either will be invaluable in whatever you decide to pursue.
Cheers,

ANG or AF

Ngranger,

I can only speak about enlisting in the ANG since that what I did after high school. I am now going to pilot training in a few months because I was selected by my unit.

Basic training is conducted by the Air Force, so regardless of whether you go ANG or AF you get the same Basic Training. It is 6 weeks, and goes by very quickly. As long as you pay attention, keep your mouth shut and do your job, it won't be too difficult. Mainly early mornings and some physical training. AF Basic is a cakewalk compared to other services, so don't sweat it.

After that you'll go to tech school for a period of time (normally between 6 weeks and 6 months, depending on your job). Again, pay attention, do your job, you'll be fine.

In the Guard, you can work part time while you're going to college full time. You'll get great benefits for going to school. Once you get your degree, you can apply to become a pilot with the Guard unit you're in, and other Guard units around the country.

One caviat: You mentioned your goal is to fly for the majors. This is certainly a great goal to have, and getting a pilot slot in the Guard is a great way of doing it. However, it should not be your only reason for getting a pilot slot. You should want to serve your country as a military pilot first and foremost, or else you might not like the responsibilities that go with flying in the military. I also wouldn't mention your desire to fly for the majors to the pilots at your Guard unit if you ask them about being a pilot in the Guard. They know that you'll eventually fly for the airlines, but they don't want you to act as if they are a "stepping stone". They want you to be focused on flying for the military and being a great pilot for them!

Have fun. In my opinion, enlisting in the Guard was one of the smartest things I've ever done.

Flaco

GO GUARD

Like Flaco said, "The smartest thing I ever did was enlist in the guard."

If you want to earn your degree then enlist in the guard. If you go active duty, it is a lot harder to work on a college degree. While I was in college I had my tuition paided for by my state, and made around $800 dollars a month off of my GI Bill and GI Bill kicker(extra GI Bill money for certian jobs) and Drill pay. Plus deployed during the summer months to cool places.

Just remeber, like Flaco said. You take a Oath to defend the country not to gain job experience. I have a lot of guys in my cop unit that had that type of attitude about gaining expericence and now we have been activated for over a year. They tend to get this "its not fair attitude" and it brings down the units moral.

Don't get me wrong I want a nice job with the majors some day too. But I love being in th ANG and serving my country.
We train to FLY and FIGHT. Not just to FLY!

I wish you the best of luck. And GO GUARD!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back