ANG Medical

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

atr42flyer

im thinking about trying to get hired on at a guard unit. im just exploring the idea. my question is about the medical exam. is there class 1 medical similar to the FAA first class. im sure it is more indepth but just curious how indepth? thanks

it's called an FC1. (flying class)

As was mentioned before, get on baseops. Everything you will ever need to know is there.

Also, use the search function or you'll get ripped over there.

What unit are you looking at?

They will check everything from A to Z. A one legged semi-blind heart attack victim could pass an FAA First class. As long as they can spell the doctors name on the check. The military could care less if they ground you. If it comes to having to get a waiver for something, in the Guard and Reserves, be prepared to have a long wait and almost have to look up all the regs yourself. Like others said before www.baseops.net and register in the forum.

I can think of more than one person who has gotten hosed from the FC1 physical, and they all had pilot slots in the reserves. That was definately the biggest hurdle when I was going through the process. That physical is seriously no joke. And to make the situation a little more promising, even after you get the FC1 certified, you still have to get past Brooks. I'm not trying to dishearten you.... it's just not anything like an FAA physical. All you can do is keep the faith.

Good Luck

Yeah, its a very in depth physical. Eyes being the most scrutinized. Some Guard units don't have all the resources available to complete every necessary test, so they'll outsource it to your civilian doc. I had two tests that my civilian doc had to accomplish and send the results to the flight doc.

Then, after all that you go to MFS (Medical Flight Screening) down at Brooks where they do more eye stuff, a heart ultra sound, and a psychological evaluation. Some Guard units do this after commissioning and some do it before. The requirement is that its done before starting UPT.

Some Guard units do this after commissioning and some do it before. The requirement is that its done before starting UPT.

If selected, I'd see if you unit would send you before AMS that way you don't have to go through that crap only to find out you can't pass brooks.

As for the FC-1, it's much more in depth. I had not problem getting a First class FAA physical but it tooke me about 10 months to get my FC-1 approved.

can you get a waver for the the eyes lets say your around 20/100 uncorrected i know the limit in most units is 20/70

can you get a waver for the the eyes lets say your around 20/100 uncorrected i know the limit in most units is 20/70

You might try looking on baseops, lots of info for military aviation questions.

20/70 uncorrected, corrected to 20/20 w/o a waiver
20/200 uncorrected, corrected to 20/20 with a waiver
No greater than +/- 3.00 diopter in any meridian

Then, after all that you go to MFS (Medical Flight Screening) down at Brooks where they do more eye stuff, a heart ultra sound, and a psychological evaluation. Some Guard units do this after commissioning and some do it before. The requirement is that its done before starting UPT.

Also, the echocardiogramon on your heart is no longer a part of the MFS at Brooks. A guy from my unit was there last week and they were not doing that test.

I had a depth perception problem before I went in for my medical. I spent about 1 K on vision therapy and it worked! There's also a program on the net called Vision Aerobics, works great. The color blindness test was one of the trickiest I've ever seen. Good luck

MO

Latest resources

Back