Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Nikes

LT
Do Active Duty pilots ever go to Guard FTUs to train in the B course?
For example Klamath Falls (F-15) or Tucson (F-16)

I was also wondering does the Air National Guard/ AF Reserves have IPs at Tyndall or Luke to instruct some of their pilots in the F-16A/ F-15A models?

Thanks-

Nikes

Nikes,

I can give you the definitive answer since I am the F-16 Syllabi manager for HQ AETC. The Tucson guard (where I did my B-course in the A-7 21 years ago) no longer does any U.S. B-course training. They do almost exclusively foreign military sales training. Springfield and Kelly ANG bases (both ANG) on the other hand do (STS) one B-course class per year. Right now Springfield is doing (STS) 11 active duty punks and 1 guard punk. Luke has 22 full time reservists and something like 40 traditional reservists working as IPs. The students at Luke are active duty, guard, and reserve with no distinction made amongst them whilst in training. There are no guard IPs at Luke.

I am pretty sure Eagle training is look upon in much the same way (Total Force) with respect to the students. However, there are not any reserve IPs at Tyndall.

What else do you need to know?

I am Gumby Darnit

Nikes,

I forgot a squadron. The reserve squadron at Luke, 302FS is now a FTU squadron and they do (STS) active, guard, and reserve students.

Gumby

Nikes,

I forgot a squadron. The reserve squadron at Luke, 302FS is now a FTU squadron and they do (STS) active, guard, and reserve students.

Gumby

Not reserve F15 but...

Gumby,

In fact, you are right, but your answer about Tyndall could be misleading.

There are in fact about 30 full time and part time Florida Air National Guard IPs at Tyndall. We don't have our own squadron, but are rainbowed into the active duty structure. Our unit is refered to as "Detachment 1, Southeast Air Defense Sector". Since Tyndall already has FLANG infrastructure with 1 AF and SEADS, it made more sense to give opcon of these "Total Force" guys to the FLANG vice spinning up a brand new reserve unit like was done at Luke and at the UPT bases.

Our last Wing CC, by the way, went through Klammath falls for his checkout before coming to Tyndall. Here at Tyndall, we train quite a few ANG guys, so Klammath isn't exclusively where the ANG guys will be assigned. However, I don't really know if Klammath puts out active duty B-coursers right now...I'll investigtate and make a post when I know more.

FYI..Det 1 SEADS guys are all former F15 IPs...most with FTU experience. A few guys have been hired without FTU experience and taken through our UIP course. This is NOT a job for you young wannabes looking for a slot somewhere...the process to get here is a bit different. However...when you've been in your F15 ANG unit several years, work up to IP, and decided you need a change of mission/scenery, then maybe this unit might be for you. Ditto for Klammath--as far as I know they don't hire anyone not already qual'd or previous qual'd in the F-15.

Last edited:
Oh I see, so does that mean that Klamath Falls has F-15C's. Or do they just train the A/D pilots in the F-15A and then transition them into the F-15C's when they get to their assignment. I guess as a wanabe I think that the differences in model i.e. A vs. C would make a considerable difference and that if possible units would try and get their pilots in the jet that they would be flying.

Ya, Albie I’m one of those wanabes but I just wanted to get a understanding of the integration of Active Duty and Guard/Reserves.

Gumby are you at Luke? I was down there for the BAT test that is a busy, busy place.

Thanks again for the help

Nikes
:D

Nikes,

I just retired at Luke in February. I am working for a slimy contractor until I can get a flying job that pays a lot less than I'm earning now. Yes, Luke is a very busy place it being the largest fighter base in the world.

Gumby

Unlike the F16, very little difference in A and C model Eagles. Cs carry a bit more gas, have a "slightly " different RWR and ICS system, but the differences are mostly transparent.

I have never flown a Viper, but I understand switchology and displays can be quite different not only from A to C models, but between Block variants as well. The differences there are much greater than between Eagle models (except the F15E, which the AF considers an entirely different weapon system).

Good luck on your goals--it active duty or not its a great way of life.

GumbyDarnit,

I live in the Phx area and have a F-16 ANG slot. What are the chances that I'll end up at Luke for FTU as vs the other two (one in Texas and one in Ohio right?)? I'd really like to go to Luke....

SMan

Nikes,

Applying for AD?

SMan

I’m looking for a guard slot first and foremost, however I have no problem with going Active duty (via OTS) to serve my country if the guard doesn’t work out.

From what I understand Texas and Ohio only start one B course a year, so the odds are vastly in your favor as far as ending up at Luke. If you don’t mind do you have any tips for a guard hopeful like myself?

Thanks

Nikes

Latest resources

Back