ANG bootcamp and life style

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

highflying

If you get selected for a guard spot do you go to the 12 week OCS or is it 6 weeks for guard folks? Also can someone give me the links to threads that talk about the life of ANG pilot? I would ask someone to post about it but I know it has been talked about a million times! Thanks

ANG newbie's attend AMS in Knoxville. This is a 6-week program compared to the AF active duty/reserve OTS program (2 and 1/2 months). I was told by someone at a Guard unit who recently just completed AMS/UPT, that AMS was mostly academics and sleep deprivation with the only physical activity being running. OTS has academics, PT, and 5am wake up calls.

As for lifestyle, this is purely anecdotal, but Guard Units seemed and liked to talk about how they were more laid back. In the Reserves, you can transfer to different Units, but with the Guard you are expected to serve the entire 10-yr commitment with the Unit that selects you. I guess this facilitates the close knit organization each Guard Unit has and the politics involved with selecting someone you will have to hang out with all the time.

With all that being said, I did not see a difference in the Guard and Reserve Units I visited in regards to talking with the guys/gals and their selection Board. Maybe the differences can only be seen once you are there and flying. From my experience, I would recommend looking at both the AFRES and Guard. If you want this bad enough, you will not let minor differences stand in the way and limit your options.

Use the search function to answer your other questions. There is tons of info out there.

Latest resources

Back