ANG and Reserves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CHQPilot

I am familiar with the ANG and I was wondering how the Reserves differ.

Is there an equivelent to AMS for Reserves or do they go to AF OCS?

How is the process different for obtaining a Pilot position?

Are Reserve pilot positions harder to obtain than Guard or as a whole is it about the same?

Thanks for any insight.

The Reserves have traditionally sent Officer Candidates to OCS but have recently been sending some to AMS.

The process of acquiring a pilot slot is pretty much the same, as far as I know. I believe the Reserve units send their candidates' packages to AFRC headquarters, who doles out the slots.

I'm not sure about how the difficulty compares between Guard/Reserve. I'm sure any of our posters who're trying to get a slot could provide a lot better insight than I.

I will tell you one thing. Go visit any unit you want to join. Find out beforehand if they're having any sort of inspection or deployment. If they are, wait until it's over and things are back to normal. Airgator, a frequent poster on this board, came up to my unit and made a he11uva good impression. THAT will do more than any spiffy resume'.

Aside from the obvious differences, State vs. Federal, for the average pilot they are the same. To say that most Guard units are more apt to hire from within, and give local preferences, is probably true, but that varies widely. To go into the reserves, you will have to find a unit that will sponsor you, then your package goes before a federal board. At a Guard unit, it will all take place at the unit itself.

Regarding AMS, all guard applicants, unless prior comissioned, go thru AMS. The reserves send most of their applicants to AMS with the exception of rated positions (Nav and Pilot). They send them to active duty OCS for 12 weeks.

Don't worry about that. From your perspective, you should worry less about it being Guard or Reserves. Apply to any units close to your home first, especially if they have something you would really enjoy flying. The biggest selector for prospective applicants is that they actually believe you will stick with the unit after training. Most of them have a bad history of accepting out-of-towners and they leave shortly after they get their wings. Also, you pretty much need to consider any unit out there. Most have very limited slots, and you never know whose family member, or super-qualified dudes will be applying for your ideal slot. It took me knocking on about 15 doors over 3-4 years to get in, but that's longer than average. You don't want to limit your options because it is not your dream job. Once you are in, the options open up. However, don't go in with the intentions of using a unit as a stepping stone. It will haunt you.

And, most importantly, in-person appearances pay in spades. Just sending a packet in will just get you in the middle of a paper pile. Visit the unit, and get to know the people before interview day. Go casually during a weekend drill. Save the spiffy suit for the actual interview.

Just hit the application process full-bore, and good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick responses!!!

I have another question....

There is a Guard unit in the town where I live and I spoke with one of their pilots on the phone trying to get some info about their unit and how they did applications. He told me that they don't take people for UPT slots and only look at active guys. It is a F-16 unit on the East Coast and he said the wealth of pilots with time in the aircraft makes it so they don't need to hire. Is this true for some units or was he maybe just trying to give the it's very hard to get on here line so don't come here with expectations? I did ask if they took packages and he said yes, it would be kept on file if they ever did decide to look outside of the active AF guys. Any thoughts on this?

reserve info

CHQ:

Try this site and search the archives [subject = reserves; name= Sonic] and you'll get a ton of the info you're looking for.

SPN - Military Flying

BSSThound: I'd been wondering where Airgator visited. Glad to hear things went well for him. I'd have beat a path to your unit myself if I hadn't been snapped up on my visit to Wright-Pat.

Latest resources

Back