And you thought 5000' was a short runway

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WSurf said:
Yes, 33R in BOS was a trip! First time I did it was at night!!! Holy Shizzzznit!! Water, Water, everywhere!!!

The BOS controllers would always ask us Colgan pilots if we can take 33R. Never could. Commutair could with their 1900s because they had anti-skid, I believe.

ILS 15R visual approach 4L in BOS is my favorite. Or when you're 500' AGL coming in 33L and they ask you if you can take 27. That's good too. Unless it's the FO's leg and they just look at you when you say yes.

HughBeamont said:
The BOS controllers would always ask us Colgan pilots if we can take 33R. Never could. Commutair could with their 1900s because they had anti-skid, I believe.

No anti-skid, it was based on weight.

It was always fun to make what you thought was a good landing only to find a flatspotted tire with a half dollar size hole in it.:blush:

Last edited:
PDT lands on the little one in BOS

I live in the buildings that as you follow the river down for the 15 visual 4l you go by.

I've seen quite a few planes go underneath me. Now that's an interesting sight.

As fun to watch from the ground as it is from the air.

HughBeamont said:
Nope, no anti-skid -- just better pilots. :D Just kidding!

As Shamrock said, it's based on our weight chart, which compensates for headwinds with more weight capability. And I'm sure it depends 100% on who your POI is, whether you'd get approved for it.

Several years ago, I did 33R with a full load -- 19 pax. The check airman in the back came up after the flight and asked how I got away with it -- the 30-knot sustained headwind bought us another ~2500 pounds. Good times, good times...

Our releases have never had landing performance data for 33R.

I don't think they trust us, and given some of the pilots they have hired in the past, it's probably the right move. It would be about a week before a new FO sitting next to a recently upgraded captain forgot he wasn't in the 172 any longer and flared it right into the lagoon.

I landed the 1900 once on 33R with no pax and a nice headwind. That was before the company restriction was in place... I was an FO at the time. It was fun...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back