An update on the future....in the year 3000 as Conan would perform

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bgaviator

So I occasionally ask this question about the state of the various airlines and dispatching positions....it's been awhile so I was looking for a fresh take. I can already assume it's probably pretty bleak, but here it goes...Does anyone know what the state of hiring is/will be for major carriers when it comes to dispatch? Will Delta be hiring due to maybe losses from people not wanting to move from Northwest? I heard JetBlue may be moving to MCO....I can only assume some people may not leave NYC to go there. What's going on at Southwest?
Don't get me wrong, I don't really mind the regional I work at...but I'm never going to be able to provide my family the QOL I want to give them with how low the pay is. I think I could put in another year, but I'll be ready to move on.

Thanks, NSW.....I feel I'm pretty proficient as I'm going on my fourth year dispatching....third as a 121. I've dispatched a variety of corporate jets, A-319s, and now CRJ200/700s. As far as specific places, I really have my goal set on Southwest. I was able to do a research paper in college on their company, and I really like their work culture. I think they do things right. I know Southwest is probably a long shot, but it's what I'm trying to stay focussed on.

Something I want to add...Long term goals are all good. We all have them. Gaining experience and education are equally good.

Events like 9-11 kill long term goals. You can work your arse off to gain all the experience, education (degree) and knowledge available in the industry to position yourself for a better opportunity but fate plays the part and the next thing you know you are being passed up by the "young bucks" with just a few years experience and no education for the "prime jobs".

So don't get your hopes up...I'm just sayin' !!

One with wings.... thanks for the vote on being realistic.... NSW must be at a major and saw the way things "use to be" you mention just some of the reasons for my outlook... I am not a pessimist, just a realist... Bgav... you have been around these boards and asked these questions enough times ... If you want help to get on with SWA.. just ask for the help, right here... have them PM you with the contacts... Last I heard about 3 years ago, SWA only hired dispatchers from within... but hey, what do I know....

Hey any SWA guys and Gals here???? PM him.. he deserves a shot!!!

We've had plenty of folks make the jump to national/major carriers from ASA. We just had one guy leave last week to go to Delta for a notam desk. In the past five years we have had two guys go to United, two guys go to Delta (not counting one that went to Delta via Airtran). Two that went to Continental and several that went to Airtran. The jump can be made if you pay attention to the job boards and are willing to take a chance.

We've had plenty of folks make the jump to national/major carriers from ASA. We just had one guy leave last week to go to Delta for a notam desk. In the past five years we have had two guys go to United, two guys go to Delta (not counting one that went to Delta via Airtran). Two that went to Continental and several that went to Airtran. The jump can be made if you pay attention to the job boards and are willing to take a chance.

That's cool. So how does one find out about jobs at Delta? I never see any postings on their main jobs board. I don't even know what category on their jobs board they would post a dispatch position. I was thinking maybe some folks wouldn't make the move from Northwest once that operation is combined, so that might lead to some openings?

I am at a major, though not one of the legacy airlines. I definitely did not benefit from the way things "use[d] to be", in fact I started my airline career less then 2 years before 9/11 when the industry bubble was just bursting.

We all know that making the big career move is all about being the right guy/girl in the right place at the right time. That takes a little luck, a good work ethic, some networking and usually a lot of patience. When someone has a long list of 9-month dispatch gigs on their resume and is vocally negative about the profession, they show none of those traits and a hiring manager will have zero interest in investing in that person. I would be very skeptical of the opinion of someone who fits that profile.

Another key is networking and I'm not talking about this site. Join the ADF, go to the meetings and meet people. Make friends from other airlines and visit their operations. Sign up for LinkedIn. Openings that don't make it to the web boards are filled by networking. Maybe you have a supervisor or manager or director or even a buddy who goes to Southwest. A few months later, they need to hire someone.... he/she thinks of the best dispatcher they had at airline X. Hope that was you!

And as far as the Delta/Northwest merger and people not moving to ATL. I think not. Mergers never create jobs. The whole point is "synergy" and as someone who isn't a VP whenever you see that word, people are losing jobs.

Latest resources

Back