An opportunity?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

The_Skids

I am half way through a master's degree that the company I am with is footing the bill. I have been contemplating going back to school full time to finish the masters and start on a PHD. Has anyone had any experience with this? I would be leaving a decent job with little to no advancement potential-but would have a better QOL, and I know teaching in college would be very fullfilling. Any thoughts?

What field of study? If you can accomplish the same goal on the company dollar that would be ideal. Just like flight training, going into debt while not making money is pretty precarious and can often be foolish. What's your family situation?

I am married and have one child. I am working on an MBA. I would not go into debt going to school full time. I would just be rid of the headache from where I work. My sugar momma would still work.

For the sake of your Wife and Child I would say go for the Finance. You would be in great demand in the private sector if teaching turned out to not be your gig. You owe that much to your children, financially secure and Daddy is home a whole lot more. It will make worlds of difference in your homelife. Good luck and keep us posted.

Well, since the first post above, the job that I had started to get a little too sour for my taste. One of the companies had sold an airplane and are contemplating moving the other one that they own.

I have left my position with the company and am going to work in the family business. If I choose, I can still get a Phd. My family will be alot better off with this move, and momma does not have to work anymore if she chooses. Will be finished with the MBA in May '08.

Get the MBA! I got mine and then was lucky enough to get hired at UPS in 2005. The MBA and FInance concentration will really set you up to choose your future rather than have luck and the price of oil determine it for you.

LJS, MBA

Looking back now the choice that I made to leave the company was a very good one. They laid off two pilots not long after I left. I have since finished the MBA and am now running part of the family business. I get to fly whenever I want and life does not seem too bad. I have put off going for the Phd for right now. I have too much responsibility now to go back to school in the near future.

I finish my MBA in Nov of 2009. Got any tips for the transition. I'm also interested in a phd somewhere down the line.

Feel free to PM.

Latest resources

Back