An Age Old Question ????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Little freight dogs (puppies?)

I assume you mean something like single-engine Caravan-type freight. Now, there's an opportunity for older, career-changing pilots.

I have a friend who is within days of my age (I'm 51). He had something like 7000 hours, with maybe 6000 instructing, and comparatively light multi time at about 600 when he got on last year or so with a FedEx (I believe) feeder in Central California that flies Caravans. He built something like 800 hours of single-engine turbine PIC and flew a great deal of IFR. He said it was great experience. He told me they never pushed him if an airplane went down for maintenance, and he said he was treated relatively well. He has since gotten on with EJA, which is a decent career goal.

My friend had been in the oil business until it went down in the early '80s when he started flying full time, so he was a very early career changer.

The outfit's name is Westair, not to be confused with the old commuter of about the same name.

These places may be possibilities. I hold fast to my opinion that getting on with commuters past 40 is difficult if not outright impossible.

Last edited:
One of my friends is in his late 40s. He just finished the Airstage II program at Airline Training Academy. He was just picked up a couple of weeks ago with several others at ACA.

Perhaps one of these training schools with a bridge program can you where you want to go.

Latest resources

Back