Amsterdam

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Partridge said:
p.s. You can always make your way around on a bicycle, like all the locals do.

Well yeah, cos they are stoned/drunk all the time and they dont want a DUI !

wmudriver said:
been there twice...I stayed with family friends though so I can't help you on hotels. Did rent a car from Hertz...was kinda expensive but a brand new car. I was 22 at the time and was able drive around no problem. People are super-friendly over there. Watch your wallet for pick pockets in Downtown amsterdam. The farther you get away from Amsterdam, the less english people speak. I'd go back in a drop of a hat. Been looking at possibly flying over in Europe someday, but I know KLM now requires a European passport.

There are plenty of Americans working at KLM at the moment. When i went back to the old country last september, my captain (777) was a american dude.. They will hire another 100/200 pilots over the next 2 years. Starting pay is about 50.000 Euro (1 Euro = 1.25 USD) capt top is about 220.000 Euro

I know there is a (american) dude working at Pinnacle who is married to a Dutch girl and commutes from MSP to AMS all the time.. Must be a heck of a commute though.

Ya'll have a great day
FD

saabtrash said:
Of course I have heard there is an Amsterdam somewhere over in Europe. But the one in New York is cheaper to visit.

Dude, that's pretty funny.[/quote]

LOL.. Yeah, 400 years ago the Dutch sold New Amsterdam, NY for 25 bucks to the English... I guess real estate is not as cheap anymore over there on the east coast as it used to be..

FD

If you did rent a car it would not be worth it, you can get everwhere on the train quite cheaply, and there is absolutely no where to park a car. You can walk downstairs from the airport and directly onto a train, which will take you to the Amsterdam Central. The Park is a good idea, there are not many cheap deals in Amsterdam you can find some on http://www.expatriates.com/ . The red light district is safe to visit, especially in the day, but it is the only place where there is any significant theft other than bicycle theft which appears to be quite significant. Once you are in the city center you could walk just about anywhere. It is a nice place with beautiful historical architecture.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back