AMR heading towards Bankruptcy?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flash 7

Could the nation's second-largest airline be the next to go bankrupt?

On Wednesday morning, investors reeled from a suggestion that AMR (AMR:NYSE - news - commentary - research - analysis), parent of American Airlines, could possibly follow US Airways into bankruptcy. In a note to investors, Jim Higgins, airline analyst at Credit Suisse First Boston, warned investors that AMR has a 25% chance of filing Chapter 11 because its cash position moving into 2003 is so weak.

For the second day this week, AMR shares got pounded. After sliding 13% on Monday, AMR was off 8.9% at $3.57 in midday trading. If shares were to close there, it would mark the lowest close in more than 15 years.

"Our current estimates, which do not include the impact from an Iraqi war, suggest a 71% drop in AMR's cash level to $739 million by the end of 2003 -- a level we believe is on the brink of the minimum cash balance needed to maintain operations," Higgins wrote.

In response, AMR stressed that it is focused on improving the operating performance of the airline. "We plan to stay focused on performance," said Tara Baten, AMR spokesperson. "The company as well as the management team is not working towards putting this company into bankruptcy. We feel we are a competitor. We are the largest carrier. And we plan to see this thing through."

With America teetering on the brink of war with Iraq, the situation for AMR could be even more precarious, in Higgins' view, because it means raising capital could become an issue. Even AMR's $6 billion in unencumbered assets such as planes and buildings wouldn't necessarily help it raise any money during a crisis, simply because few deep-pocketed buyers would be interested.

"In the event of further cash flow pressure on the airline industry," he wrote, "we are unsure of the speed and extent to which those assets could be mortgaged."

As a result, Higgins dropped his rating on the company to neutral from outperform, telling investors that the federal government needs to ensure liquidity during an Iraq offensive in order for his outlook to improve.
"Given the rising lack of visibility on that front, however, we believe a move to the sidelines on AMR shares, even at this level, is the best course of action," said Higgins.

The latest news from AMR is yet another signal that airlines face the most serious challenge in the history of commercial aviation. Losses this year will run close to $7 billion and will challenge last year's record. And in August, the industry showed no signs of improvement, despite heavy discounting and service cuts.

Indeed, travel was down 8.2% on the year at the major airlines during August, despite the fact that ticket prices were 9.4% cheaper, according to the Air Transportation Association. To ward off more problems, the airlines have implored the federal government to cut them a break on taxes and security.

AMR is now the latest big carrier that has been painted with the bankruptcy brush.

Speculation lingers that UAL (UAL:NYSE - news - commentary - research - analysis), parent of United Airlines, the largest U.S. carrier based on revenue passenger miles, will soon need to file if it can't present the Air Transportation Stabilization Board with a proper cost-cutting plan to secure a government-backed loan. Without the $1.8 billion it seeks, UAL will have trouble servicing the $900 million in debt that will come due in the fourth quarter.

Wednesday's news from AMR comes just two days after the company announced it would be taking a $900 million charge related to the goodwill of its acquisitions over the past couple years.

:eek: :eek:

Good morning ladies and gentlemen, welcome aboard Amtrak's 423, many stop service to Miami. Today we will be cruising at approximately 3 feet on our way to Miami. Our route of flight or rail will be through every East coast city we can go through.

So fasten your seat belts????? or just sit up, bring your seat backs to the upright and locked position, look out the window, and enjoy the cars stopped at each intersection. Feel free to use your cell phone, laptops, and other electronic devices as you feel like as you have plenty of time.

If you have a craving for some food, just walk back to the dining car and have some food.

You guys are WAY off base with this stuff...
Clearly, it's Greyhound all the way.
Doesn't everyone else see it?
In fact, our union has already initiated flow through talks with them. I also think we'll have jumpseat privileges with them by the end of the month.

Sorry, your wrong. It is going to be a boom for the rental car companies.

This past Jan I was in Orlando trying to get a flight out heading west. The only flight I could take left from ATL.
I found out Amtrak does not go to ATL and the bus would take forever.

I rented a car!

RE: AMR
No surprize here. they have been losing more money than UAL, they just have a better PR dept so you didn't hear about it.

Reality?

Sorry to spoil all the fun, but how about a reality check here?

The original post quoted a single analyst. Although this analyst has made many headlines with his pessimistic forecast, I can remember analysts being feted on CNBC for predicting that Qualcomm would go to $1,000/share. (It didn't). He is simply trying to garner some media attention. Seriously: he predicts AMR may go bankrupt but his overall feeling on the stock is "Neutral"?

If you were advising people where to put there money and you thought a company had a 25% chance of going bankrupt would you say "Ummmm, sure, that's an OK bet....no better or worse than any other stock." Come on!

What this analyst REALLY did was tell all his big investors to short AMR stock; he then made his negative announcement; the stock dropped (for a few days); his big investors made money, and now we should all forget about him.

AMR is not sitting on a bed of roses, but it is a far cry from bankruptcy.
BTW, in AMR and DAL's case, the losses reported have been exaggerated by special one-time charges, goodwill, and anything else that can be written down while losses are expected. No benefits from recent furloughs or airplane groundings have hit the balance sheet, but all of the expenses have. This means that when the cycle turns up, both companies will be free of encumbrences and will post profits very quickly.

Reality?

What flavor is the Kool-Aid in Dallas THIS month?

Well, call me naive for thinking that anyone wanted anything other than gut feelings to be posted on this board.

I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid, DH200, but I am intelligent enough to think on my own and reach my own conclusions about things rather than jump on the bandwagon.

Enjoy this board. I am out of here.

Could the nation's second largest airline go next?

I thought we were the largest. WOW, they can't even figure out we are the largest, but they are convinced we will go bancrupt.

HELLOOO out there. WE are ALL in danger of going bankrupt.. that isn't kool-aid, it is reality. There are a couple of carriers that are exempt. Higher fuel prices, a war in the middle east, and it is over.

AAflyer

P.S> if UAL goes bankrupt, you better pray AMR doesn't, it will knock down the rest.

The latest news on AMR is that they have a grossly underfunded pension program which may require a $1,000,000,000 (yes, that's BILLION) charge to cover the fund. Witha market cap of only around $700 million, could get interesting.

Latest resources

Back