AMR Could Sell off ALL of AMERICAN EAGLE

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FEDUPPILOT

Tom Bacon gave a presentation at the Flight Academy on Wed. the 16th.
Tom is the VP of Fleet Planning, Marketing, Route Planning, and about
five other departments. His position includes deciding what markets we
serve, what aircraft we purchase or sell, how we comply with the ASM
cap, and many other things. These are the items that seemed significant:

- We will still transfer the 14 jets from our fleet. Eight will go to
TSA over 5 months and the other six have not been dedicated yet. The
reason he gave was that we will have 67 a/c with more than 44 seats in
Feb 2002. In order to stay under that cap, we will have to remove 145's
from our fleet.

- We are still planning on receiving ALL 25 firm orders for the CRJ 700.
The problem was that the bank that is handling the financing saw AMR's
credit rating hit as an excuse to get out of the deal. He feels that
they finally have negotiated a solution to that issue. He claims that
American Eagle has no interest in the EMB 170. They are interested in a
long range version of the 140 though. He claimed that there is no
intention (as of this week) to make all 67 jets above 44 seats 70 seat
a/c.

- The SAAB is not doing well in JFK. He plans to remove them from JFK
"within the next twelve months". The northeast will be all jet then.

- Regardless of the Goldberg decision regarding the ASM cap, we will be
in a position requiring the sale of Executive by March in order to keep
taking delivery of RJ's an still comply with the cap. He is considering
all possibilities, however, he did say that the sale of NA is an easy
route.

- (This is disturbing) In order to keep taking delivery of RJ's, we will
need to get rid of about 90% of ALL turbo-props by the end of 2004. The
method of getting rid of them could include:

- Selling them separately to another carrier

- Putting them on another certificate and spin
them off. (like NA getting rid of ATR)

- Parking them in the desert

He had many other things to say in his presentation. Mostly he told us
that AMR is in dire straits. I just posted the items that seemed to
effect us as a pilot group.

Hold on folks, the ride is likely to get bumpy.....

Let them sell us...it might actualy improve things for the average beat down eagle pilot if we weren't owned by the evil empire.
P.S. Jim, I didn't see any other posts regarding an eagle sell off???

Cutting Service

I was on an overnight in Savannah last Monday (10/14) and it was all over the local news that Tuesday was Eagle's last day there. Do you guys know of other cities that have already been cut?

AMR would be foolish to sell Eagle. There's no contractual language strong enough that would prevent us from eventually competing with AA. With all scope and ASM restrictions released or unenforceable, what's to stop us from buying hundreds of CRJ-900s and pricing AA right out of their own hubs?

They might as well sell us. I have never really seen much benefit in Eagle being part of AMR. Sure, we had the flow through to AA but that only got some 100 or so pilots to AA out of about 3000 that were hired 'back in the day'. It was'nt as if being at Eagle helped you get career progression to AA, flow through or otherwise. Other than that..???
We've always been treated markedly different than the rest of the 'family' so changing us from 'red headed step child' to orphan could likely improve things. Maybe a kinder 'family' would adopt us or we are old enough to make it on our own now?

JIM & Anaconda!

Sorry if something so trivial as posting the same thread three times upsets you. My advice is to take life a LITTLE LESS seriously! IT ONLY A MESSAGE BOARD!! And some people dont read all of the different forums!! In the future I will try to CONTROL MY CRAZY, INSANE, And out of control ways of posting! Shame on me!! :) C'mon GUYS!

I wouldn't count on Eagle competiting with AMR with 90 seaters or any jets. Just look at what happend to us over a Expressjet. AMR will just IPO you they way CAL did to us and negotiate some capacity purchase agreement. Basically you will be working on behalf of, not for American. There will be no competiton with AA. Why would Eagle management want to do this, when they have a steady meal ticket from AMR. It wouldn't suprise me to see Eagle sold, because its an easy way for an airline to raise cash, but still in effect control the destiny of its regional partners

Last edited:
Eagle management does not DO anything, with regard to its relationship with AMR.

The true decisions are made from AMR upper management who communicates the framework that they want "Eagle" management to accomplish.

Eagle management then decides how best to meet AMR's needs.

THAT is where"Eagle" managements "job security" is - feeding the bigger bulldog. In order to do that they have to know what that dog wants.

Major decisions such as a "spin-off' or negotiations for a large RJ order would not initially involve Eagle management - they would not be funding it, only determining how best to meet the stated needs of the "inner circle".

MANY thing could be on the verge of happening and would not be communicated to Eagle management until necessary.

Just because a management guys tells a group of employees that "this is happening" or that "this is not under consideration", only means that this is the information they have now (in fact, they may have information to the contrary, but would not release it for a myraid of reasons- legal, competative etc.).

Don't believe EVERYTHING you here, and believe that there are things you're not going to hear until others decide you have a "need to know".

Latest resources

Back