• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AMR Corporation Reports Q4 2010 Net Loss of $97 Million

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is it pretty safe to say that this is a pencil-whipped loss because so many labor groups are in negotiations right now?

I used to think that but I'm not so sure now. This is a bean counter's airline. EVERYTHING is about cost--at the expense of revenue.

The whole JBV/Oneworld thing is about getting a small amount of cash without incurring any cost. You travel from SLC to Berlin and never touch AA metal.

AA is a travel agency funded by an airline that they can't get rid of.

TC

AA is a travel agency funded by an airline that they can't get rid of.

TC[/QUOTE]

THAT'S THE END OF THE TREAD

With USair and other airlines making profits it is obvious AA is hiding it's profits during union negotiations. They are maybe paying down debt or something to hide that they can pay more to their employees. AA is good at that so that 97 million loss probably isn't really so in real life. Of course union negotiations are expected to go on for years since they can't strike now with the RLA holding everybody to a standstill.

A look at AA's 10-Q shoes they were profitable operationally in Q4'10 to the tune of $68M...but the loss was caused in part to $201M in interest expense.

I'm guessing if AMR had taken a trip through Ch. 11 like so many other airlines have this past decade, and got a judge to help them beat up on creditors, that their interest expense would have been a bit lower...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back