• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Amf

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why did AMF lose all that DHL work when they consolidated to the ILN hub?

How many Metros are in CVG?

How many nights might you on average spend at home (during your 3 weeks on) if you are CVG Metro?

Any talk on improving that 3 on/1 off crap? That takes a toll...

I can't speak to the number of metros or time home since I'm not based in CVG.

As for the DHL runs, when DHL acquired ABX they cut their feeder fleet just about in half. While most of the runs in CVG went away, we actually picked up runs in other locations. So while we have fewer DHL runs than we did before, we actually have a higher percentage of their work.

Regarding the 3on/2 off "crap", that is a recent IMPROVEMENT to bring those pilot's schedules in line with our system TDYs who are usually away from home 3 weeks then home for one. Show me another place you can fly PIC with less than 2500 hours with a schedule like that.

I wouldn't worry so much about the 3/1 schedule but the 12 hours on duty then you get more money is crap

DHL virtually eliminated all its midwest feed when they consolidated up in ILN. I don't know about the other companies, but all the AMF runs from CVG mirrored a DC-9 from ILN, my guess is to avoid trucking the sort between the two operations. The move to ILN eliminated this need. The flying in CVG is great. You see a lot of the country and never get bored with the flying. The quality of life however leaves a lot of room for improvement. You WILL sit at the CVG base for 12 hours on standby if you don't fly. Even if you live 10mins away. This is b.s. The number of trips that are that time critical is very small in my experience. You will also sit at the FBO where you end up for 12 hours while praying for a trip home. This is the most egregious violation in my opinion. Even at the nicer FBO's this gets old in a hurry. Try doing it at some Mom and Pop place with no TV and no crew lounge. If you're lucky they'll let you leave for food, if there's any nearby. If you ask me I don't think it's worth it for that one week off. The only reason they agreed to do the 3on 1off is because it was costing too much money to pay the pilots extra for being gone weekends. At the time CVG pilots got a full 8 units each for sat and sun if they were on the road. Not anymore. But at least I hear they are honoring the week off. They'll either repo you home or if they have to airline you back. Trust me, you'll need all 7 days to get you head straight. The pilots and mechanics in CVG are awesome, it's everyone else you have to worry about.

Thanks, SDCFI for answering that one. I was trying to get myself geared up to answer it myself. You're right, it is BS that pilots have to sit at CVG if they only live 10 mins away.

I'm glad to see you're still lurking around here too. See you next Sunday?

Amf Cvg

Boy, the more things change the more they seem to stay the same.

TransMach

Thanks, SDCFI for answering that one. I was trying to get myself geared up to answer it myself. You're right, it is BS that pilots have to sit at CVG if they only live 10 mins away.

I'm glad to see you're still lurking around here too. See you next Sunday?

Yeah, it's slow now so I've been getting short days and long overnights. Can't argue with that. Lots of time to surf the net. Unfortunately they've got me out the 9th to the 12th, sat - tues. So far I've been working thurs - sun or similar. No weekends off for me yet. When's your last day at AMF again? I keep hoping I'll overnight in Cincy sometime so I can hang but I rarely get off the east coast. Will this be your last trip to DFW?

I'll give it a shot...

I can't speak to the number of metros or time home since I'm not based in CVG.

As for the DHL runs, when DHL acquired ABX they cut their feeder fleet just about in half. While most of the runs in CVG went away, we actually picked up runs in other locations. So while we have fewer DHL runs than we did before, we actually have a higher percentage of their work.

Regarding the 3on/2 off "crap", that is a recent IMPROVEMENT to bring those pilot's schedules in line with our system TDYs who are usually away from home 3 weeks then home for one. Show me another place you can fly PIC with less than 2500 hours with a schedule like that.

Try Alaska. 2 weeks on weeks off and better pay. Though you'll be flying a single-engine piston. But still... making more money (at the daily rate by $40/day (ie: they pay $200/day)) in a piston single than a metro!!

Then again, who wants to fly a single engine piston?

Latest resources

Back