Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

barnyard

F Caravans
I saw a posting from climbto350.com this morning looking for Lear 35 captains and FO's to be based on the passenger service out of burbank. (not a 350 member, can't link.)

Questions:::

Why is the company going to the outside looking to fill these positions?

Why hasn't this been addressed through any kind of standing bid?

Since there has been 0 movement within the Lear captain ranks, don't we have enough FO's with the time that are qualified to upgrade?

Why has there not been an internal vacancy memo looking for volunteers?

Finally, WTF???

I'm not sure, but I've suspected for awhile that climbto350.com makes up stuff to put up there sometimes, making themselves look good for having jobs posted that nobody else does, but providing companies with "free" stacks of resumes that they don't need or want.

Linky

Edited to add link. Don't know if it will work if you're not a subscriber, but there it is.

Last edited:
You also have to consider that no one he company wanted to put into those seats wanted to taken them. Consider the fact that the 'regular' pilots at AMF work M-F at scheduled times. These new position will be 24/7 on call positions. It is quite likely that many of AMF's Lear pilots turned it down. Also there are 'great' freight pilots out there that would not make good passenger pilots. The mind set is somewhat different. The biggest thing here is to not jump to conclutions.

Yes we are looking for Lear 35 capitains. I do not know if the Charter manager has posted it pubically yeat. But after losing out clearing house contract, becuase of "Check 21" we are in the process of converting one of our lears to passenger. Which will give us Two Passenger lears. Finding a crew for one is hard enough, some capitians are on requried rest, and some just dont want to do it. so people like Jerry clark have to fly. Stu Shrock is no longer wth the company, which it makes it very hard to Find capitians. I would not throw the idea out of having people form the outside fly for us!

Linetech said:
Finding a crew for one is hard enough

So as to one of my original questions, why hasn't there been a company wide memo looking for some qualified applicants??? (Fo's)

most captinas and fo's fly the line during the week, there on schedualed runs, and some chaters require you to lay over somewhere. Some depatures are early morning or later at night whcih would make them not able to make there schedual runs. At the moment I only know of two people who have completed training, for a Lear FO, and they are Both in managment in the Flight dept.

For the "Check 21" and stu thing, they dont have a connection, I was just reffering to check 21, so now we have an extra Lear because of it, and Stu did most or all of the Flying in the carter End of it. He is no longer with the company and he could fly anytime. So It is hard to find crews for chaters!

I bet they'd have more interested people if they didn't limit the Lear charters to the Burbank base only.

Here's the bottom line at AMF folks:
In order for someone to upgrade, their route must first go up for bid and awarded. The person awarded your run then must go through the necessary training to upgrade before you can go. Before that person goes through traininig his run needs to be put out for bid and awarded.

For example, before I got upgraded to the metro, they had to hire a new lance pilot so that a lance pilot could upgrade to the chieftain so that a chieftain pilot can train and upgrade to a 99, and THEN finally AMF will let you go to training to upgrade.

It's easier for the company to just hire outside and not have to wait months to fill the slot.

Sucks for us pilots...

Not necessarily. I know the base in Phoenix has been staffed with extra pilots. Therefore, when people are sent to upgrade, they are sometimes sent 2-3 at a time with plenty of pilots left to cover the schedule. In addition, they are sent to upgrade before they are really even needed to fly that specific aircraft. This allows pilots to upgrade ahead of time, rather than at the time they are needed. In addition, it allows for better utilization of aircraft amongst the pilot group. The more aircraft a pilot is checked out in, the more useful they are. It might not be like this at other bases though.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back