• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AMF down in BIL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Last word I had was they had been cleared for the VOR approach into BTM, at 130. Also heard the training capt was not feeling well prior to their dep. The Capt has been doing that run for quite some time, he was fimilar with it.

DirtyBeech said:
this is complete speculation, but they may have been attempting a non precision approach with a course change at the navaid, and missed the turn.

I think you nailed it,
http://www.fltplan8.com/AppCharts/GIFCHARTS/00588VGB_0001.gif
if they stayed on that initial course instead of changing to the final approach course, and than did the missed approach as charted they would climb directly into a 7500' peake in the same area where the wreckage was found, near Feely, about 8 miles southwest of BTM.

If you look at a different non precision chart for the same airport,
http://www.fltplan8.com/AppCharts/GIFCHARTS/00588VDGA_0001.gif
you can see the mountains southwest of the airport that are not shown on the chart for the approach they flew, the FAA picked a hell of a place to put the airport diagram on that chart. Like to see the Jepp charts for these approaches, does AMF use Jepps or NOAA?

Last edited:
Lear Wanna Be said:

I have a lot of time in this machine. My condolences to the families of the crewmembers involved.

jparks said:
Lets not speculate on pilot error quite yet. Lets be fair to the families, remeber the pilots of the great men they were, and let the professionals do the investigating.

I second those feelings.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back