Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

citabriapilot

V Murdda...
Anyone out there who has recent experience at these two bases, I'd appreciate some insight.

At my base, the most senior PA31 pilot had nearly 1.5 years in before going to 99 school. And even then I doubt this pilot can hold a line and will be used only as a fill in. To top it off, even after getting a 99 here, there aren't really any Metro's or 1900's to upgrade into and the 99 runs are fairly low time, so building the turbine time would be slow as well. One of our 99 outstations that seems to open up quite often is about 1.8 block. If the company is REALLY sticking to 750 hours of turbine for a Metro, then 1.8 block a day will mean well over a year in the 99.

So...I'm considering putting in a bid for SLC or BIL in the next few months and want some feedback as to the pros and cons of these two bases.

• What are the typical daily block times?
  • Management personality/attitude?
  • Upgrade potential to bigger stuff? (I had heard stuff about not being able to leave BIL once you get there, why is that? I'd like to get enough 99 time and then bid out to Dallas for a Metro eventually)
  • Cost of living?
Also, if anyone knows what runs are outstations and which ones are not, that would help too.

Thanks

SLC, SLC, and SLC. check your pm's.

Sounds like the poor fellow is PDX based.

Both SLC and BIL are not too bad, except SLC has Sh*tty beer courtesy of the Mormons!

barnyard said:
Agreed with above.

Base your decision solely on the alcohol quantity of the beer.

-Barn

Here, here!

Please bring back Lindsay-she is a f**king piece of *ss, your current avatar simply does not measure up.

Last edited:
Don't know about SLC but BIL flt's are generally pretty short, unless you wind up on the mail runs at night. Highest times are about a 3.0 block for the HLN-GTF-BIL (DHL) and BIL-GTF-CTB (UPS). Management? Don't ask. Upgrade? You won't leave until they find a replacement for you, could be awhile (esp. during winter). COL? Pretty cheap to rent. Lows around $300 for a small studio to $6-700 for a pimped out 2 or 3 bdrm castle. Depends on where you live though. All BIL runs are outstationed except the mail runs and the CTB UPS flt. Before you accept a BIL bid definately find out where you'll be going so you know what you're getting into. Some of the runs are 1 leg and block 1.5 or so a day, not gonna get much time doing those. Personally I'd only go for a mail run - good time (4-5 block a night) and you're only gone about 6 hours during the middle of the night, so you've got all day at home, although it is in Billings. Oh yeah, Fat Tire and Guinness on tap EVERYWHERE!

Latest resources

Back