• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ameristar is heating up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lol! 777s and MD11s eh? Someone is blowing some smoke! Every aircraft that is currently owned is 40 years old or older. If anything it will be an MD80 series aircraft for their contract to fly illegal aliens back to their legal home, and the pilots getting hired for that were coming from the company that last had the contract. Last aircraft loss was a Lear almost exactly 4 years ago in Mexico and I knew both pilots. From what I have heard there is a current court case in progress or something to that effect because everyone is suspecting some kind of maintenance or structural failure. Haven't heard an update in a while. The previous crashes were both Lear aircraft as well and were found to be pilot error back in something like 2002 and 2003. The only Falcon to go down was in the late 90s because the pilot slammed the throttles into the stops too hard and they went into cutoff. He was too low to get a restart and he glided the plane onto a grass levy near Kansas City with little damage to the plane and no loss of life.

My hair color is still intact, but I have been through a few minor situations. As for mins for new hires for MD80s or 737s...really high most likely or anybody who is currently flying the DC9s would probably have first shot. The guys that fly the 737 there now have been with TW for something like 10 or 12 years and they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Hiring is mostly to fill Falcon spots because they lost some Captain's recently and coming out of the slow down they were down to just 16 pilots on the 135 side from the 40s when I first started so they lack coverage. No surprise that they are hiring basically. Just to fill gaps because flying has been much more steady over the last year and a half.

Widebodies...I just laugh! ha

Last edited:
Hiring is mostly to fill Falcon spots because they lost some Captain's recently and coming out of the slow down they were down to just 16 pilots on the 135 side from the 40s when I first started so they lack coverage. No surprise that they are hiring basically. Just to fill gaps because flying has been much more steady over the last year and a half.

Widebodies...I just laugh! ha

FL, where have the captains been ending up at?

still hiring Capts off the street?

A couple of them went onto some pretty nice corporate gigs. No street Captains, just FOs to fill the right seat because there are too many captains and not enough FOs.

HR should stay away from screening pilot, they can be involved in the hiring process to ensure EEO, etc are complied with, but should not do the screening or final selection.

Latest resources

Back