American to cut 7,000 jobs.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Twadude,

I am sorry to hear this. I know you are not thrilled with the APA, but I am headed to ORD tonight. The comm committee is headed to bases to sell the early retirement. We got word last night during a confrence call that many guys are going to probably take the early out. It was one of the better early outs the industry has seen. The goal is to get the outs in the next 3O to eliminate the need for furlough. I hope this works.

AAflyer

AAflyer:

You're right, I'm not thrilled with the APA (I am a member), yet I understand that it's AA and not APA that's responsible for the furloughs. Now is the time for the APA to shine and do their best to mitigate furloughs.

BTW it's now my understanding that even if all 450 guys take the early out package it won't result in a one-for-one reduction. In fact it may only mitigate one hundred or fewer. I'm history regardless but every little bit counts.

TWA Dude said:
AAflyer:

You're right, I'm not thrilled with the APA (I am a member), yet I understand that it's AA and not APA that's responsible for the furloughs. Now is the time for the APA to shine and do their best to mitigate furloughs.

BTW it's now my understanding that even if all 450 guys take the early out package it won't result in a one-for-one reduction. In fact it may only mitigate one hundred or fewer. I'm history regardless but every little bit counts.

I may be wrong, but from the news releases and other postings I have read I am under the impression it is 450 early-outs PLUS 550 furloughs for a total of 1,000 pilot position reductions (above and beyond those on furlough already)...

The news articles said 7,000 job cuts, 40% of which will be Pilots and F/A's. This equates to 2,800 Pilot & FA positions eliminated, this would make sense on the ratio 1,800 FA's/1,000 pilots, seems to usually be around 2:1 ratio, this is really close (1.8:1)..

Just my observations... either way, not good... not good at all...

Good luck to all those affected!

Falcon Capt said:
I may be wrong, but from the news releases and other postings I have read I am under the impression it is 450 early-outs PLUS 550 furloughs for a total of 1,000 pilot position reductions (above and beyond those on furlough already)...

Yes, that is what they are saying. The "clarification" we've been hearing from our chief pilots is that there is some mitigation to be had from those 450 but only on the order of 50-75 total.

Bottom line, attrition alone will not force recalls for many years. We need the economy to improve and for additional aircraft to be delivered.

This industry has bitten me in the tuchus but I intend to lick my wounds (picture that!) and move on. I knew I was taking some amount of risk when I left a secure commuter job (turbine PIC!) for TWA but I'd already decided that come-what-may it was worth it. I haven't changed my mind.

Regards.

Latest resources

Back