• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American MD-80 damage LAX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Man that might have hit the pressure hull. Ugly! It happens though.

We had a 73N up in PHL or PIT that was there for more than a month getting repairs done just so it could get to ATL. You would be surprised how much of this happens on a weekly basis.

I remember seeing that 737-800 at PHL for a long while. It looked like it was sitting "crooked." Do you know what happened with that one?

Regarding this MD80, man, I feel bad for this crew.

Is the MD80 authorized to be pulled by a tug (as opposed to pushed) with one or more engines running? That's a big no-no for us on the 73s.

I remember seeing that 737-800 at PHL for a long while. It looked like it was sitting "crooked." Do you know what happened with that one?

Regarding this MD80, man, I feel bad for this crew.

A tow bar was shot up in to the gear well, went though the pressure hull and caused a ton of damage. (something like 3 million but I cannot remember the exact number) It was a mess.

Something similar happened to me on the 88 in Bos 2 years ago, late night push/stormy/rainy last flight of a long day type a deal. Began a smooth push, a/c rocks a little bit as we push back and then, snap....crackle...pop and we come to a stop another 5-6 feet back. Tow bar became de-tached from the nose gear and the tug driver slams on the breaks only the have the master cylindar take a dump on the tug, tug accelerates and cork screws the tow bar up the nose gear like a pretzel and take out the gear doors in the process.

Amazingly enough, LGA had the parts in stock, they got 'em up to BOS and we pushed 4 hours later for ATL....got into ATL just under 16 hr duty day. Full boat of pax too and not one peep from anyone, they were just happy to get home that night.

It just seems hard to believe they would just power up with the tug still attached.

We had a Captain who decided to do a cross bleed start with the tug still attached and the same thing happened. Oh well...

We had a Captain who decided to do a cross bleed start with the tug still attached and the same thing happened. Oh well...

I'd say the FO was out to lunch too for not saying, "uhhh...this probably isn't a good idea."

Or maybe he did and got to laugh about it later.

Latest resources

Back