Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
T

TDTURBO

Just heard on CLTV in Chicago that AF is being investigated by the FAA for issuing pilots licenses despite failed writtens.:eek:

50 of them!

At DPA no less, which is practically next door to the FSDO!

Last edited:
i've always heard american flyers is a scam joint. they take your money and give you crap for training...then take more money. i know a couple people that went there.

then again, those could've just been bad experiences. just what i've heard.

American Flyers

I've read stories about American Flyers. I had a student who tried to get a job there shortly after finishing at FSI and who was treated in bad faith, but the place can't be all bad. I know that they've been around for at least sixty years. I knew someone who trained there, passed through ERAU-Prescott long enough to build time, and was hired by Comair. If he didn't leave Comair for bigger and better he probably is now a senior Captain, making $90K+ a year. Flyers must work for some people.

Last edited:
The training at AF, DPA was excellent when I went there straight out of high school some 9 years ago. I went from a zero time pilot to a CFI-AI in 6 1/2 months and the instructors were wonderful.

The *running* of the place for the instructors was terrible. Underpaid and overworked compared to almost all other flight schools I have seen in the 9 years since.

Basically they did a great job back then with students (but expensive as hell) but really treated staff terribly. If this really occured I would be stunned as stuff like that never, never went down when I was there.

I finished my multi-engine instuctor at an aviation university where I got my degree and am now a regional captain for what it is worth.

Their online instructor refresher course (renewal course) is embarassingly terrible. It's so ameaturish and pathetic that it appears to have been written and put together by a bored child.

I heard that this story made todays front page news on the Chicago Tribune. Does anyone have an internet link to the story???

Are any of the instructors being investigated? Or is it just the school that is in trouble?

Thanks

avbug said:
Their online instructor refresher course (renewal course) is embarassingly terrible. It's so ameaturish and pathetic that it appears to have been written and put together by a bored child.
I agree completely... BUT I paid the $100 a couple years ago and now am on the "Instructor for Life" program.. I never have to pay again... If I had to pay I would go somewhere else.

ILLINI said:
I heard that this story made todays front page news on the Chicago Tribune. Does anyone have an internet link to the story???

Are any of the instructors being investigated? Or is it just the school that is in trouble?

Thanks

I looked on the Chicago Tribune website and did a search and I can't find anything.

But it wouldn't surprise me if it were true...AF is all about the money.

Avbugs, right!

Although cheap, lifetime renewal for $99.00, the CFI on line renewal program is pathetic. I have done two renewals with AF and have completed two evaluation tests and renewals for Gliem during their inception and their system is much better. AF is nothing but regergitation of the regs, nothing more, where Gliem at leasts explains what they are trying to teach. Their tests reflect their teachings where AF tests pull obscurities out of the regs.

On the other hand, I havent heard any negative stuff on the school side of the house, don't want AF to go under as I would loose my "lifetime renewal":eek:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back