• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American and US Air - why???????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What is the APA's opinion in best dealing with the lack of a Asian network in comparison with Americans peers? Seems the AA/US merger would bolster domestic and trans Atlantic revenue but there still remains an Asian problem. Continue to feed Oneworld hubs to the likes of CX and such?

Sincere best of luck guys and gals. I hope it works out to be less painful than an unfortunate 1113 ruling.

If I owned an airline that was merged; but,
because of pilot squabbling and failure to integrate, despite mutually agreed upon BINDING arbitration and a legal decision;
I'm still not enjoying the efficiencies of a combined operation; and,
I knew I couldn't operate my airline with just 1,800 pilots;
What would I do?

One brilliant solution is to acquire a much larger company. Since I wanted to do this anyway, I could I make the large company more efficient by combining resources and axing redundancies. Not only that, but I would now have about 12,000 existing pilots, to run the entire operation.

Some legal wrangling and I could eliminate the problem child once and for all.

After all, it was THEY who refused a legally valid integration. PLUS, they'd be awfully hard-pressed to fight it - having blown their wad with seven years of futile litigation - trying to dispute the meaning of the term "binding".

If I owned an airline that was merged; but,
because of pilot squabbling and failure to integrate, despite mutually agreed upon BINDING arbitration and a legal decision;
I'm still not enjoying the efficiencies of a combined operation; and,
I knew I couldn't operate my airline with just 1,800 pilots;
What would I do?

One brilliant solution is to acquire a much larger company. Since I wanted to do this anyway, I could I make the large company more efficient by combining resources and axing redundancies. Not only that, but I would now have about 12,000 existing pilots, to run the entire operation.

Some legal wrangling and I could eliminate the problem child once and for all.

After all, it was THEY who refused a legally valid integration. PLUS, they'd be awfully hard-pressed to fight it - having blown their wad with seven years of futile litigation - trying to dispute the meaning of the term "binding".

You westicles crack me up

Lots of cynicism on this board, not entirely unwarranted.

However there are legitimate business reasons for wanted to merge the two companies. Mangers love to talk about synergies, and the resultant savings, which may very well be swallowed up my merger costs in the short term. In the long term American is suffering from a weak domestic structure particularly in the southeast, a crippling load of debt, and a wholly owned regional carrier with the highest costs in the industry. Their go it alone bankruptcy plan is basically shrink into irrelevancy and compete with ultra low cost carriers. A merger brings a short term infusion of cash, a much stronger domestic network and some new international routes. Doing it in bankruptcy still allows the shedding of some bad debt and old plane leases, and the ability to whipsaw the regional feed in such a way as to reduce costs (bad for AE, sorry guys). It puts their network on parity with the other two big players, Delta and United. Alone they have no chance to compete except by shrinking and retreating to their core markets, a losing strategy in the long run when the other two are raking in large profits with large networks and eventually would be able to muscle in.

swallowed up my merger ..........

Swallow and merger in the same sentence. That's about right.

ten characters. The End.

Wow...pretty good based on this logic above. I just have a hard time trusting anything with us airways written on it but it sure is indicative of how F'd up American is now!!

Mookie

Latest resources

Back