Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American and UniCal pilots- how does the delta TA affect you?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

waveflyer

I have asserted that deltas proposal to increase -900 series RJs while decreasing 50 seat RJs hurts both AA, United, and Continental in their fight to keep >70 seat RJs from being outsourced.

What say the pilots of those airlines?

Does this TA legitimize the -900 being outsourced, as I claim, bc DALPA is the largest unified pilot union in the world, representing one of the most profitable networks? Does it take away leverage from other carriers as I claim?

The delta TA allows a decrease in the least profitable, least airliner-like 50 seat RJs, (that largely do what used to be done in turboprops) while validating and allowing some 70 more CRJ-900's than currently allowed.

Delta only got -900's outsourced in 2007, under the last BK deal.
The current scope fights are occurring in the larger RJ segment, not in the 50 seat market that is not profitable with fuel at current and forecasted fuel prices. Thus, gains on 50 seat scope are far outweighed by giving away more large RJs in exchange.
This agreement, IMO, legitimizes an agreement made under financial duress during BK. Legitimizing the outsourcing of the -900 and allowing such an increase in proliferation is what I claim puts pressure on the other legacies.

Do the pilots of the other legacies agree?

Last edited:
Question for you Wave: Why do you really care so much about this? I hear what your reasoning is, but I don't buy it. My guess: You understand that one of the main reasons someone books SWA right now is to stay off 50 seat airplanes. (as you said, least like an airliner) So if the legacies start getting rid of 50s, you're afraid they will start booking away from SWA. Any part of that right? Because SWA already has cornholed their Rapid Rewards customers. "A" boarding is almost impossible to get, even for some of your best customers. And C boarding is basically a thunderdome cage match. You're slipping over there at SWA. You'd really be in a world of hurt if you had not just got done pulling another airport stunt in Texas.

I'm fighting for 50 seat scope. But I want the airplanes real bad. I want to get rid of the 50s and give passengers a good reason to be back on my brand and book away from SWA. The DAL TA is a step in the right direction. I think you know that, and I think you know it will eventually hurt SWA.

My question for AA, UNICAL, or LCC.How negatively has the SW work rules/low pay/benefits affected your career earnings over the past decade?

not so much

My question for AA, UNICAL, or LCC.How negatively has the SW work rules/low pay/benefits affected your career earnings over the past decade?

TWO things have affected my career earnings over the past decade:
#1. The cascade of bankruptcies cause by 9-11.
#2. The oil bubble of 2008.

More than the work rules/low pay/benefits SW hurting me was SW's fuel hedges of 2008. With 20/20 hindsight SW fuel hedges of the time were blind luck and not due to SW mgt. genius.

In the long run, the fuel hedges just delayed when the music would stop on the SW 'pyramid scheme'. If your butt is not in a captain seat right now -- it will never be.

We're sitting here wondering why any Delta guy would further allow any sort of outsourcing at all.

If the company can't find a way to make 50-seaters profitable then they can park all of them that they want... it's not up to me to vote in a suitable replacement.

Latest resources

Back