Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

America West/US Air looking at Airtran??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyAirtran

You think this has any relevance? Or just a cheap stock purchase.

Does he know something that we dont know?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/5474440.html
PAR Capital Reports AirTran Stake

NEW YORK — Boston-based investment fund PAR Capital Management has taken a 5.1 percent passive stake in AirTran Holdings Inc., the parent company of AirTran Airways, according to a Securities and Exchange Commission filing Tuesday.
PAR Capital reported owning 4.7 million shares of the Orlando, Fla.-based company.
PAR Capital disclosed the stake in a Schedule 13G filing, which indicates the investment is passive, and notes that the shares weren't acquired to change or influence control of the company.
PAR Capital Vice President Edward L. Shapiro holds a seat on US Airways Group Inc.'s board.
AirTran shares rose 2 cents to $7.36 in morning trading.

Last edited:
It'd be great news for Delta....AirTran gets a dose of "USAir flu" ala PSA/Piedmont/AWA and there's no more low-cost competition in ATL.

That would make absolutely 0 sense. What would Airways want with another airline dominant on the East coast? Not to mention the fact that they have major hubs within a couple hundred miles of each other. The investment group probably sees an easy buck in AirTran gaining routes from the DAL/NWA merger.

Or the likely jump in AAI stock when SWA buys them...

Please God, no.

not gonna happen. I could write alot as to why think it will not but I am tired right now and need to sleep.

personally, I think alot of people in the airline world have a ______-on (insert opposite word of soft in blank) for American and forces are at work to do whatever it takes to knock them out.

DAL could not do it solo (and fight off NWA while doing so), so they are merging WITH NWA instead.

The "major" title still in many circles carries the old-school classic definition, world-wide international carriers, and the top ones are still considered to be AA, DAL, and UAL.

Yes, SWA is a major but everyone has figured out that you AIN'T gonna beat them, so stay out of the ring, you are just gonna get pounded and get your nose bloody.

So the international arena (Airtran has no int ops) is where the battles will be.

My two cents, worth even less

Latest resources

Back