• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

America West Airline crew arrested KMIA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't want to hurt these guys, but the evidence looks pretty bad, and now I have to go to work and have some old lady ask to smell my breath because of what she saw on CNN. I'm not upset at these guys, as they have not been tried yet, but they sure have done a job on our credibility, and made my job just a little bit more difficult.

I've been flying for airlines for almost 9 years now and I'm very happy to say that I haven't seen anyone break the 8 hour rule or fly under the influence. I know that I must be living in a sheltered world, but thank God for that.
Simon... the fact that you think it's common for flight crewmembers to do so disturbs me.

There undoubtedly quite a bit of crew partying in the industry on layovers and overnights. I still think the overwhelming majority of crewmembers adheres to regulation and policy when it concerns alcohol. There is no way you could blow a .091 if you were even close to being legal time-wise. The evidence against these guys is bad. I know some of you are "waiting for the facts" But let's be real. It is very unlikely that it will turn out that all of this is bunk. These guys pissed on all of our credibility and betrayed the profession. Assuming that all this is true (and I think it probably is), these guys do not deserve our respect.

Keep in mind that it is not the 8 hour rule but the .04 that rules. Eight hours bottle to throttle does not insure that you alcohol content is less than .04.

I'm trying to keep an open mind about this myself and do find some of the posts funny BUT..... I have to agree with flyinbrian on this one. I find it a gross disrespect to our profession at a time when we need as much of the public on our side as possible.

We all can laugh about it, but what about all of the ones (and I hope it's very few) that go undetected while they fly you around on that non-rev. Do any of ya have moms, dads, sons or daughters that fly? F*#& those guys, what about the passengers?

I guess they'll have to change the age old interview question....

"You show up for departure and both you AND the captain are drunk......"

I just want to make it known that flying drunk or breaking the 8/12 hour rule or .04 bac is unacceptable. I am just saying that rules are broken and these guys got caught. They will pay with their careers. That is too bad.

Those of you that do not break any rules in your life you are all more holy than me. I break some rules and I abide by others. And before any of you jump on the band wagon and say that I condone this action. I do not. I am saying don't throw rocks from glass house.

Hyper, do you speed on the freeway. Well, my family drives on that same freeway and you are putting them at risk.

From one professional pilot to another-get used to it-either they throw rocks-or they are holier than thou. Anyway you look at it your fellow stick buddy can be you best pal or your worst nightmare.

Simonsays,

"They will pay with their careers. That's too bad". What's too bad about it? They made that decision, not anyone else. What are you, their defense lawyer?

"Hyper, do you speed on the freeway. Well, my family drives on that same freeway and you are putting them at risk."

Not even the same ballpark pal. Breaking some "rules" and flying 129 people in a complex environment while you're half-looped doesn't really deserve an acknowledgement to the comparison.

Nowhere in my post does it say I'm "holier than though" or that I don't break any rules. But rest assured, I've never and will never blatently put peoples lives at risk as your America West buddies have today.

Now that you've made a personal attack on me and my thoughts, look at the direction of your thread. I think you realized how ridiculous it was to launch a defense about drinking and flying. Then to cover yourself, started the "noone's ever broken rules" and "holier than thou" routine. Don't turn it around on me. I waited until there was some sort of proof (i.e. breathalizer) before i made any posts on the subject. I wasn't set to jump on them right of the bat.

Latest resources

Back