Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ambitious would be pilot in need of help.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A different route

Matt,

You are paying retail for your flight rating at ATP or any Flight school !!

You and a close friend looking for the same thing can buy a Cessna 152/172 Pa-28 together for Dirt cheap these days $18,000- $20,000
....Get a loan, not much more difficult then buying a car..... Work, and make some money while you are training so you can make your aircraft payments and fuel, tie-down expenses, etc.

Offer a fresh, new, instructor (CFI) to train you ...(They will most likely do it for the flight time experience that they get to log as "Dual Given") maybe a few bucks.

When you are done, you can instruct in your own plane, or sell the thing for about the same amount you paid for it ....Long before you ever pay it off by the way.

The Aircraft payments are a write off because it is educational in nature and a career expense!

You dont have to get presurred into all of those school payments.

Your Commercial Pilot Certificate will look the exact same as the $150,000 University Graduate's does !

If I had it all to do over, this is what I would have done.

Good luck

If you need a free ride, re-up or even go with a different branch. If you're as ambitious as you say, it will show and your CO's will confirm. Apply ANG/AFR. Army Guard, whatever.

Last edited:
With all due respect to Matt and others, I’m turned-off with the concept of using social media to obtained hand-outs. There are many more deserving causes (Women in Distress, Red Cross, United Way, etc) for our charitable dollars than helping somebody learn how to fly.

Right or wrong, requests like this distract from more worthy causes where people are homeless, hungry, etc. and need help to just provide the basics.

The above post by “Bleeds On” suggested a better course for Matt and others in the same circumstances.

Thank you for service Matt, but this is a bad idea and reflects badly on your character. Your website comment…”I am not one to ask for handouts ever but at this point I have nowhere else to turn.”…seems shallow when babies are hungry, single mothers are trying to put a roof over their heads, and veterans are sleeping in the streets.

Matt - I don't find your request any more compelling than the people asking for handouts at the intersection or in front of the post office. And frankly, a photo of you in your uniform accompanying a request for funds, at least to me suggests you feel that your service somewhat entitles you to the benefit of our generosity.

Congratulations on the girl in the photo. If I missed her title, forgive me, but a photo of you as a child next to a 152 or as a teenager at your local airport would "tug" more at my purse string.

As to anyone pursuing a career in aviation, I wish you luck and if you succeed, I hope you reach out to others who are pursuing the same.

You're kidding, right?

Everyone of us in this profession figured out how to obtain our ratings, complete an education and break into a very competative industry.

Yes, flying is fun. That's why folks want to do it.

I got my basic ratings (Coml, Inst, CFI) through the G.I. Bill. I worked my way through school and didn't receive any scholarship funds nor any help from my family. The time was the late 70's and you needed 2,500 hours, 500 multi to get a job as a F/O on a Twin Otter for $550 a month and all the Jet-A you could drink.

Today, having been in the biz for 35 years I make a ton of money, fly the most advanced and capable jets all around the world for the most influential folks in entertainment, industry and government. You can too.

You have a spectacular opportunity with the G.I. Bill ... use it. Don't depend on or even ask for charity. It's below you.

TransMach

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back