Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

barnyard

F Caravans
Due to my own laziness and attidue about completeing certain things before a cerain due date, My CFI ticket has offically "expired". I had completed the online CFI renewal course through American Flyers last week, and with certificate in hand and 8710 filled out, I planned to visit the local FSDO moday morning (Jan 31) to renew the cert. However there were some sick calls Monday and i could couldn't do the reserve line I had planned.
Blah Blah blah I should have done it sooner and the inspector guy today told me he wouldn't renew it, since my application was 3 days late. Oklahoma said maybe try a different FSDO, but it looks like I'll be out of an instructor ticket unless I can get a practical.
Any thoughts / suggestions?

Thanks-
Barn

For what it's worth, I went through the same thing a while back. I wound up taking another practical to get my instructor certificate reinstated. Sorry, I know that's no help.

Yup, a buddy of mine had the same thing happen... Had the American Flyers course all done and had the certificate before his CFI expired but went to the FSDO a couple days into the new month (after his CFI expired) and was SOL... He had to go up and take a checkride to get it reinstated...

You can take a ride for any CFI rating you held to reinstate all of them. For example you can take a CFII ride and reinstate a CFI/II/MEI. Also the ride to reinstate doesnt have to be done with a Fed, a DPE can do it. I may be wrong on this because it's been a while since I looked at it, but I think you can also take a ride for an additional rating to reinstate your CFI, for example if you only held a CFI you can take a II or MEI ride to reinsteate your CFI. Apologies if I'm wrong on that part.

Yes, you're SOL. Unless you have a new certificate issued prior to the expiration date, you must take a checkride to re-instate. One checkride will re-instate all ratings on your CFI.

That is....unless you can find an inspector to backdate a certificate.... ;)

You are SOL. And welcome to the growing group of many Instructors who have done the same thing. I am a card carring member. After you get a flight test (in an airplane to re-instate) In the future remember - you can re-new up to 90 days in advance AND keep your origional date of re-newal.

Any instructor who wishes to keep his CFI and does not read 61.197 and 61.199 --- has no excuse. I had no excuse, I just plain forgot.

JAFI

barnyard said:
Due to my own laziness and attidue about completeing certain things before a cerain due date, My CFI ticket has offically "expired". I had completed the online CFI renewal course through American Flyers last week...
Yea, all my buddies keep telling me I can do online or other courses and save money. I have a suggestion for ya, next time go through Greg Gorak's CFI refresher seminars (if you live near one of the locations)...he never cancels a class.

For a few bucks extra, Greg's pretty assistant will process your renewal ON SITE! Good gawd yall...that's almost too hard to pass up! I always pay the lady...it keeps the pretty lady in work and I sleep better at night knowing I'm renewed!

According to his schedule, they do seminars in GRR, MKE, ORD, MSP, Moline, Lansing, DSM, and STL.

I highly recommend Greg and the reputation of his FIRC.

Here's his www www.gaitsaviation.com

Once again, he never cancels a FIRC...even if only one CFI shows up!

Latest resources

Back