• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

utahpilot

Seeing the light
for ya'll to debate and input, here's the scenario:

I am a CFII. I shoot approaches with students anywhere from 3-10 times per week. They manipulate the controls, I instruct. I have done this for the past 14 months, ever since I passed my CFII checkride. That was the last time I have been sole manipulator for holds, approaches, and tracking navaids. Am I instrument current? Why or why not? If not, what do I need to do to become current? If I am not, can I do my approaches, holds and tracking in a sim by myself? Why or why not?

Thanks for the input. I'm seeking other opinions to defend my answer to a fellow CFI.

Umm...No.

As far as I know, you are not current. Though you were instructing for the approaches, you were not flying the plane. When I was still teaching, a group of us had the same question, and asked one of the local DE's, and that was his answer.

For a more detailed answer, I would suggest you call your local FSDO and ask one of the inspectors. They can probably better answer/explain in such gray areas.

If you get current in a sim, I do believe you have to have an instructor to run the sim for you. Can you just get one of your instructor buddies to sit in it with you after work some night? Perhaps trade off?

Latest resources

Back