• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alternator Failure Q

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fuel injection in aircraft has no requirement for electric power either unless the engine driven fuel pump fails. Then you only have boost pumps ;)

It's not the fuel injection you know in your car either. Fuel injection in aircraft injects continuously into the intake port.

uwochris said:
Let's say you're flying a 152 (or something similar), and you experience an alternator failure... According to most POHs, the emergency checklist will be similar to the following:
- Shut off ALT side of master switch;
- Turn off non-essential electrics;
- Land as soon as practical.

Now, is there any harm in not turning off the ALT side of the master-switch? ie) will you be using extra current in keeping it on and thereby reduce the battery's reservoir power even more? I just do not understand the reason behind turning off the switch.
Chris, FWIW, I've got a different opinion...
It sounds to me like you're looking for an excuse not to follow the POH (AFM). That is a potientially very hazardous position to take. Granted, we're talking an alternator failure on a very simple airplane. Typically such a situation wouldn't be considered an in-flight emergency, just an in-flight inconvenience. However, there is a likelyhood that you won't spend a lot of time in your trusty 152. As you transition up the ladder of complexity it becomes ever more important to follow the AFM. "Creative thinking" can really get you wrapped around the axle when it comes to working emergency or abnormal checklists in turbine powered aircraft. If you deviate from the checklist you are, in essence, saying that you know more than the folks who designed, built and certified the airplane. Maybe you are. Me? I was never that smart.

'Sled

I bet you lean for taxi too, huh ;)

Lead Sled said:
But of course... If I don't, the Garretts run really rough when we do the mag checks. :rolleyes:

hahahaha

Latest resources

Back