Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FurloughedAgain

Cabin Heating & Air Tech.
Here's a question for you customs/immigration gurus.

Canadian Aviation Regulations require an alternate any time you are operating on an IFR flightplan.

So let's say you're flying from the US into YYZ. You've notified Canpass etc of your arrival time. As you approach YYZ it goes below minimums and you're required to divert...

Can we file a nearby airport such as Hamilton (YHM) as an alternate? Or would it be smarter to file and use Erie or Detroit or similar so as to avoid additional complexity of notifying Canadian Customs etc.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If you went to CYHM they have customs, just explain to them what happened. Call custom on your cell on the ground.

Don't worry too much about Canadian Customs they are cool up there. It should not be a problem if you have to go to your alternate. The real problems are with the US customs when you come back.

jet wash you got that right, if I had to miss at KYIP I would consider going to Windsor. Coming out of Canada for KEWR, ATC delays forced us to go into Stewert for fuel. Locked in the airplane for 5 hours because of no customs. Guess what they finally cleared us over the phone.

jet wash you got that right, if I had to miss at KYIP I would consider going to Windsor. Coming out of Canada for KEWR, ATC delays forced us to go into Stewert for fuel. Locked in the airplane for 5 hours because of no customs. Guess what they finally cleared us over the phone.
What the guys said about the Canadians. (Isn't CANPASS great! :beer: Why can't we get off of our high horses and do the same? The GATE program is/was a total joke.) Coming back into the US, your best option, if you've got weather issues and going missed is going to be a possibility, is to make sure that your alternate also has customs - otherwise you probably will end up being "...locked in the airplane for 5 hours..."

Latest resources

Back