• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

alternates to CFIing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
1000 h...about a year and a half...Mostly weekends and holidays, with some days flying 8 hours.
Do the maths, at $8 up to $15 per load, not too bad for an "in-between" job :)

DR400 said:
1000 h...about a year and a half...Mostly weekends and holidays, with some days flying 8 hours.
Do the maths, at $8 up to $15 per load, not too bad for an "in-between" job :)
How can you log 1000 hours in a year and a half flying jumpers part-time, when I'm barely scratching that amount as a full-time CFI?

I learned more in the first 100hrs of flight intruction then I did in the previous 300 hrs as a pilot and a student. Like most of the others here, I believe it is a great way to get good experience. Don't forget that experiences are all the screw up things you have done.

Other alternative (even if logging that time is questionable but the experience is good to take) :
Right Seat program at Simuflite...Check their website for details.

no CFI'ing is NOT FUN.

Speak for yourself. I enjoy it.

You might be able to fly that amount with jumpers in a 182 at an active DZ, pushing 45 minutes to an hour per load for high loads. But not in a Caravan, when its' only .3 up and down. 15 loads is a busy day, figure at 4.5 hours at .3 a load. Figure 100 good jump days a year, for weekends (few if any DZ's see continuous jumping on the weekdays). That's closer to 450 hours a year at a busy DZ, in a Caravan.

Avbug you are right...In this case turbine time does not help a time builder (especially a low timer).
Also CFI'ing, if a pilot wants to reach a commercial career, is a good way to sharpen your regs for future interviews.
I enjoyed both, I recommend both....Better than PFT :rolleyes: .
Just don't fall in the routine and stay focus on your goal.

Dropping jumpers sounds like a blast. And I second the idea that being a CFI teaches you valuable skills, even moreso your CFII and MEI. But I'd also say that past 500 dual given you get in a rut and need to move on if possible.

Latest resources

Back