• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alternate ways to gain experience for the major airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Work at the major airline you want fly for one day while you're working on your ratings i.e. throwing bags, ticket counter, etc. Also, if you're in college, or plan on going, do an internship one semester with one of the majors. After that, build your time at a regional. These alone won't gaurantee a job at a major of your choosing, but I have seen a large number of regional pilots who have interviewed and been hired at the company they once worked for before becoming a regional pilot.
Also, have something that will set you apart from every other pilot out there - a skill, trade, or life experience. It makes for dull conversation on the job, and in an interview, when a pilot can only hold a conversation if the topic is flying.
And like someone said before, it's all about who you know. That has always been true, in any occupation.

You want to fly big airplanes with people, the best route would be to start out flying smaller airplanes with people....they're often the same people even.

It doesn't matter really where you get the PIC turbine, even Gojets. The people doing the interviews at the Legacies often have no clue which Regional you fly for. The HR person and retired Captain or current Chief Pilot haven't paid that much attention to what goes on within the industry. You either have the mins and plenty of recommendations, or you don't. You do need to Network, and have a clean record to have a good chance in the interview. Being a Capt at Gojets or Mesa or a Corporate job is not a bad thing. Good luck!

Bye Bye---General Lee

How'd you make it in Jenny?????? :)

Left yourself open, had to do it. Happy New Year putz!

Why don't you ask that question after you make it?

In Jennie's case "making it" is a computer suite in his mom's basement and "crash pad" in the laundry room, with a bunk bed and mini fridge full of Code Red Mt.Dew to get him through the long TransAtlantic MS Flt Sim sessions. Lucky for him he has his cat, Mr Bigglesworth to work as relief pilot on those long legs. The biggest coup is the Papa Johns pizza guy will hand the pizzas through the basement(DV) window.......Jenny also has a "sweet" mountain bike that he rides on the lawn just like real DAL pilots do.

Hmm...guess I picked the wrong life to be an airline pilot. *smirk*

In Jennie's case "making it" is a computer suite in his mom's basement and "crash pad" in the laundry room, with a bunk bed and mini fridge full of Code Red Mt.Dew to get him through the long TransAtlantic MS Flt Sim sessions. Lucky for him he has his cat, Mr Bigglesworth to work as relief pilot on those long legs. The biggest coup is the Papa Johns pizza guy will hand the pizzas through the basement(DV) window.......Jenny also has a "sweet" mountain bike that he rides on the lawn just like real DAL pilots do.
You have a very imaginative fantasy life, don't you? What's to say your description is what your life is really like? Based on his and your posts, I would put way more faith in General Lee being a Delta pilot than you being any kind of pilot. But I don't know you so I'll never make that statement. The obsessions you and others have with General Lee is unhealthy.

Latest resources

Back