Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
hung,
what can you tell me about the prop AD?

The prop AD was caused by corrosion in the hub, caused by having a lot of birds just sitting around outside. It pretty much is a non existant problem now, but I doubt the AD will go away. Based purely on calendar time, not hours. If you have not had the AD complied with (about $1600) in more than 5 years, you are required to get it done on a 3 year schedule. On the second look see, if no corrosion is found, you can extend that to 5 years. I would imaging most are on the 5 year schedule by now. Caution Here!! When you comply with the AD, DO NOT LET THEM GRIND THE BLADES! Most good prop shops know this, but some just grind the paint off like they do on regular props. Blades are getting very hard to find, so if yours get ground and get below mins, you will end up with a set of cut down Tracker blades. Not prefered.
Lots of good shops that handle Ham Standard props around, I use Miami Propeller here at Opa Locka.
On a lighter note, if you bend down to service the nose wheel, and stand up quick, you will realise this is no prop off a 150! It hurts!!!! :)

Hung

So if an airplane has been hangared most of its 'adult' life, and the AD has been complied with in the past, you would anticipate that there would be no troubles? What is the cost if it fails?

Thanks a million!

Another question regarding training. I'll be the first of our group to get the type if our deal goes through. How are most of those programs set up? How much time does it take(flying hours)? Is it like every other type ride? And I want to be sure that since I'm a CFI and would be type rated, I can indeed give dual toward the type rating for the rest of my group.
Thanks.

Just about anyone can be necessary in the back seat. Call them an extra pair of eyes for see and avoid.

Hung,
So the experimental type cert. is individual to the specific airframe? I understand the flight limitations are for exhibition and proficiency, but we should also look at the paperwork to make sure that there's not something prohibitive thrown in, too?

The limitations are written when the airworthiness certificate is issued. They are not standard, or at least they were not back a few years ago. Issued by individuals, at individual FSDO's so they were open to different interpretations.
Mine are pretty open, no milage restriction. So, I can travel pretty freely.
I can take passengers, as long as not for hire, it is considered training or familerization flights.
If you get a B or C model, you will need to get a type ride. Although, they don't call it a type ride, because since they are not standard certified aircraft, you can't be typed. They got rid of the LOA thing about 3 years ago. so, it shows up now on your plastic certificate. There are a number of guys authorized to give the training and the ride, you will not find a Fed to do it!
The big sellers, Mark Clark or Chuck Smith can hook you up with someone. It took me 4 hours, and that was mostly sightseeing. Sweet airplane to fly. Hardest part is engine management, radials are a breed apart. And, I don't think any two are alike! It is a 8800 lb. aircraft, as long as you keep the old Wright going, you can get out of most troubles. Figure on 2 1/2 hours from fuel pump to fuel pump, at low cruise I burn about 53 gph. Takeoffs are 120 per hour, so I take off and cruise.
You can't be bashful with your credit card, but if you look good a lot of FBO's will give you a reduced rate. (since you will be buying 120 gallons at a time)
Hung

Now, this is going to sound crazy, but I have been told it is true. What you DON'T want to do is loose your limitations or repaint your aircraft with a new N number. Because, the limitations are written to a specific number, and they did standardize them a few years ago, for the worse.
I have copied mine, and scanned them on a hard drive, so if I loose it, I can reproduce them.

Of course all crewmembers are required! :)

I actually have more time in the back seat than the front, whenever I give fam rides I take the back. Better view for the people, as I take a lot of space.
Electric control switch lets me take all the major electrics under the rear seat control, and off we go!

I just show them the circuit breakers and hydraulic handle, although on mine I have a backkup hydraulic pump that is switched from both cockpits.
Just writing about it makes me want to go to the airport, it is a sickness.

Hung

Hung, thanks for the great info. I'm familiar with the elimination of the LOA, but still a little curious about the ride itself. Both of us that will get the 'type' have other type ratings, so we're familiar with what's involved on standard type rides. What can we expect on this? Standard maneuvers, approaches, etc? Also, I was hoping that this wouldn't be a 10 hour affair as I've heard around, 5 was a more appropriate number in my mind. We're friends with Mark Clark, as in we've bought and sold a/c with him in the past, so I'm sure we'll find someone. We're in the southeast.

Now, I don't want to give checkrides. But since this is a little less than standard I want to be sure that I can, as a CFI, give dual and send somebody to one. Do you know this to be an accurate statement?

Latest resources

Back