ALPA's Recommendations on Fatigue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

xjhawk

I just read the proposal they sent via Email. Just a couple thoughts, I like the 10 hour rest rule. Being on reduced rest is not fun. I am unsure that ALPA National addressed the differences between international flying and regional flying becuase they want one rule? Come on! I might be mistaken or have misread that part but what is harder, blocking 7 hours of flying in a Saab or CRJ 200 or doing one leg on an international flight? I also noted that I did not see anything on reserve pilots but I did notice they specifically said "lineholder". Those dumb F#$ks! I guess the rule applies, airline unions benefit senior guys and Alpa national is bias towards majors. I might be mistaken.....

I just read the proposal they sent via Email. Just a couple thoughts, I like the 10 hour rest rule. Being on reduced rest is not fun. I am unsure that ALPA National addressed the differences between international flying and regional flying becuase they want one rule? Come on! I might be mistaken or have misread that part but what is harder, blocking 7 hours of flying in a Saab or CRJ 200 or doing one leg on an international flight? I also noted that I did not see anything on reserve pilots but I did notice they specifically said "lineholder". Those dumb F#$ks! I guess the rule applies, airline unions benefit senior guys and Alpa national is bias towards majors. I might be mistaken.....
When was the last time these ALPA guys flew the line? Better yet, when was the last time they sat reserve? Yet they have your best interest in mind!
that 10 hour rest requirement. Is it behind the hotel room door, or outside of the cockpit? Are they able to reduce it to 9 hours?

When was the last time these ALPA guys flew the line? Better yet, when was the last time they sat reserve? Yet they have your best interest in mind!
that 10 hour rest requirement. Is it behind the hotel room door, or outside of the cockpit? Are they able to reduce it to 9 hours?

One of the ARC's ALPA reps is an Eagle pilot who sits reserve (and his fair share of ready reserve) and flies the line.

Sorry to break it to ya.

I am unsure that ALPA National addressed the differences between international flying and regional flying becuase they want one rule? Come on! I might be mistaken or have misread that part but what is harder, blocking 7 hours of flying in a Saab or CRJ 200 or doing one leg on an international flight?

You're misunderstanding. The recommendations you read are only for non-augmented crews. Flying across the pond comes with different recommendations.

I also noted that I did not see anything on reserve pilots but I did notice they specifically said "lineholder". Those dumb F#$ks! I guess the rule applies, airline unions benefit senior guys and Alpa national is bias towards majors. I might be mistaken.....

You're mistaken. The recommendations on reserve are in a separate document because there is a detailed breakdown on duty times depending on whether you are on short or long call reserve.

One of the ARC's ALPA reps is an Eagle pilot who sits reserve (and his fair share of ready reserve) and flies the line.

Sorry to break it to ya.

Facts? On Flightinfo? Nah, couldn't be. ;)

With the exception of the Co-Chair, all of the ALPA reps on the ARC are line pilots. The National Officers did not participate in the ARC, so the recommendations were developed by everyday line pilots, based on scientific evidence compiled from many studies and based on expert testimony from scientists and doctors.

"With the exception of the Co-Chair, all of the ALPA reps on the ARC are line pilots."

Fwiw;

Co-Chair did fly trips during the ARC process and is a CVG 76ER Capt.

"With the exception of the Co-Chair, all of the ALPA reps on the ARC are line pilots."

Fwiw;

Co-Chair did fly trips during the ARC process and is a CVG 76ER Capt.

He's actually current? Damn, that's impressive.

What about language that allows for "catnaps" in the cockpit. Never tried it myself, of course, but I hear it greatly increases alertness and cognitive abilities during the critical approach and landing phases of flight.

Having done saab flying, mainline domestic in three different types for 10+ years, transpac and Europe, I will say the worst was 3 man (747-200, Dc 10) multi day transpacs. A 3 day Europe is not so bad if you have days off before and after, but string a few in a row or better yet a 9 day with 6 Atlantic crossings (even augmented) I promise you that you will feel worse than anything they can conjour up domestically.

Latest resources

Back