Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

9rj9

Delta Continues Pilot Furloughs
Atlanta, GA-based Delta Air Lines reported yesterday that the carrier will have a total of 806 pilots on furlough as of July 2002. This revised total reflects 61 new furloughs in addition to Delta's current total of approximately 745 furloughed pilots.

A spokeswoman for the company said Delta intends to furlough up to 1,400 pilots as a result of the events of Sept. 11 and its aftermath. "We regret the need to furlough any pilot, and we are working diligently to return every pilot to a healthy and prosperous airline as soon as possible," she stated.

Lets see - Onelist is a darn good idea. If Delta ALPA had not killed the union's own Merger and Fragmentation Policy all those furloughed pilots would be pulled into the left seat of CRJ700's and 900's. I'd be happy too since it would not have effected me either way, (ASA and Comair hired over 1,200 pilots since the 00 BOD meeting and would have hired more without scope) and best of all I would have a future to look forward to instead of funding litigation against ALPA out of my pocket. (to try and save my job from predatory bargaining)

I asked in another thread how many junior Delta pilots would have to be sacrificed before the mainline guys wake up and realize that onelist is the best, effective, scope solution.

I guess 806 is not enough for the Delta MEC to truly care about. That is a shame because each one of those pilots have bills and is probably pretty worried right now. My heart goes out to them - their union's own apartied policies got them on the street.

Maybe they should join the RJDC...

Question to anyone.
I am a little cornfused. Why are the mainlines waiting so long to let pilots go. Not that I want to see them go, but wouldnt you let the people go when you need to save the cash. I dont understand this way of doing business. The only reason that I can see is that Delta really didn't think they would have to let this many go and the thought the economy would turn. If anyone of you business types out there could help me I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Latest resources

Back